Contribution of Streptococcus anginosus to infections caused by groups C and G streptococci, southern India.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Rodloff, Arne C
Brahmadathan, Kootallur N
Chhatwal, Gursharan S
Nitsche-Schmitz, D Patric
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractVellore, a region in southern India, has a high incidence of severe human infections with Beta-hemolytic group C and G streptococci (GCGS). To determine the causative species in these infections, we conducted 16S rRNA gene sequencing: Streptococcus dysgalactiae subsp. equisimilis (81%) and S. anginosus (19%) were the causative organisms in the 2-year study period (2006-2007). We used PCR to detect the virulence-related emm gene; results showed that it was restricted to S. dysgalactieae subsp. equisimilis isolates of 99.2% tested positive. Due to a novel marker, S. anginosus and S. constellatus can be quickly and accurately distinguished from other members of the genus. The notable contribution of the anginosus group to human infections suggests that this group of obligate pathogens deserves more attention in healthcare and research.
CitationContribution of Streptococcus anginosus to infections caused by groups C and G streptococci, southern India. 2010, 16 (4):656-63 Emerging Infect. Dis.
AffiliationHelmholtz Centre for Infection Research, Braunschweig, Germany.
JournalEmerging infectious diseases
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Rapid differentiation between members of the anginosus group and Streptococcus dysgalactiae subsp. equisimilis within beta-hemolytic group C and G streptococci by PCR.
- Authors: Liu LC, Tsai JC, Hsueh PR, Teng LJ
- Issue date: 2006 May
- Antibiotic susceptibilities, streptococcal pyrogenic exotoxin gene profiles among clinical isolates of group C or G Streptococcus dysgalactiae subsp. equisimilis & of group G S. anginosus group at a tertiary care centre.
- Authors: Behera B, Mathur P, Bhardwaj N, Jain N, Misra MC, Kapil A, Singh S
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Taxonomy of the Anginosus group of the genus Streptococcus and description of Streptococcus anginosus subsp. whileyi subsp. nov. and Streptococcus constellatus subsp. viborgensis subsp. nov.
- Authors: Jensen A, Hoshino T, Kilian M
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- Evaluation of genotypic and phenotypic methods for differentiation of the members of the Anginosus group streptococci.
- Authors: Summanen PH, Rowlinson MC, Wooton J, Finegold SM
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Detection of Streptococcus pyogenes virulence genes in Streptococcus dysgalactiae subsp. equisimilis from Vellore, India.
- Authors: Babbar A, Itzek A, Pieper DH, Nitsche-Schmitz DP
- Issue date: 2018 Sep