Local induction of immunosuppressive CD8+ T cells in the gut-associated lymphoid tissues.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: In contrast to intestinal CD4(+) regulatory T cells (T(regs)), the generation and function of immunomodulatory intestinal CD8(+) T cells is less well defined. To dissect the immunologic mechanisms of CD8(+) T cell function in the mucosa, reactivity against hemagglutinin (HA) expressed in intestinal epithelial cells of mice bearing a MHC class-I-restricted T-cell-receptor specific for HA was studied. METHODOLOGY AND PRINCIPAL FINDINGS: HA-specific CD8(+) T cells were isolated from gut-associated tissues and phenotypically and functionally characterized for the expression of Foxp3(+) and their suppressive capacity. We demonstrate that intestinal HA expression led to peripheral induction of HA-specific CD8(+)Foxp3(+) T cells. Antigen-experienced CD8(+) T cells in this transgenic mouse model suppressed the proliferation of CD8(+) and CD4(+) T cells in vitro. Gene expression analysis of suppressive HA-specific CD8(+) T cells revealed a specific up-regulation of CD103, Nrp1, Tnfrsf9 and Pdcd1, molecules also expressed on CD4(+) T(reg) subsets. Finally, gut-associated dendritic cells were able to induce HA-specific CD8(+)Foxp3(+) T cells. CONCLUSION AND SIGNIFICANCE: We demonstrate that gut specific antigen presentation is sufficient to induce CD8(+) T(regs)in vivo which may maintain intestinal homeostasis by down-modulating effector functions of T cells.
CitationLocal induction of immunosuppressive CD8+ T cells in the gut-associated lymphoid tissues. 2010, 5 (10):e15373 PLoS ONE
AffiliationInstitute of Medical Microbiology, University Hospital Essen, University Duisburg-Essen, Essen, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Autoimmune-mediated intestinal inflammation-impact and regulation of antigen-specific CD8+ T cells.
- Authors: Westendorf AM, Fleissner D, Deppenmeier S, Gruber AD, Bruder D, Hansen W, Liblau R, Buer J
- Issue date: 2006 Aug
- CD4+Foxp3+ regulatory T cell expansion induced by antigen-driven interaction with intestinal epithelial cells independent of local dendritic cells.
- Authors: Westendorf AM, Fleissner D, Groebe L, Jung S, Gruber AD, Hansen W, Buer J
- Issue date: 2009 Feb
- A bone marrow-derived APC in the gut-associated lymphoid tissue captures oral antigens and presents them to both CD4+ and CD8+ T cells.
- Authors: Blanas E, Davey GM, Carbone FR, Heath WR
- Issue date: 2000 Mar 15
- Cellular mechanisms involved in protection against influenza virus infection in transgenic mice expressing a TCR receptor specific for class II hemagglutinin peptide in CD4+ and CD8+ T cells.
- Authors: Bot A, Casares S, Bot S, von Boehmer H, Bona C
- Issue date: 1998 May 1
- Functional specialization of gut CD103+ dendritic cells in the regulation of tissue-selective T cell homing.
- Authors: Johansson-Lindbom B, Svensson M, Pabst O, Palmqvist C, Marquez G, Förster R, Agace WW
- Issue date: 2005 Oct 17