Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInterferon-gamma (IFN-gamma) is considered a key cytokine involved in the preventive and defensive responses of T cells against infectious pathogens and tumors. Therefore, the transgenic expression of IFN-gamma in specific T cells appears to be an obvious therapeutic possibility. To directly examine whether IFN-gamma production can be increased in T cells, we introduced an IFN-gamma encoding cDNA into IFN-gamma(-/-) and IFN-gamma(+/+) CD8(+) effector populations by retroviral transduction. Here, we show that CD8 T cells can be equipped with IFN-gamma that increases their capacity to secrete the cytokine. Despite constitutive retroviral IFN-gamma mRNA transcription, translation and secretion of IFN-gamma protein was tightly regulated and only observed in activated T cells. Neither proliferation nor cytolytic activity of CTL was affected by IFN-gamma transduction. Importantly, CD8(+) T cells retrovirally transduced with IFN-gamma exhibit augmented tumor suppressive capacity upon adoptive transfer into IFN-gamma(-/-) mice. Thus, T cells can be readily armed with IFN-gamma without risking immunopathology by dysregulated production of this highly potent proinflammatory cytokine.
CitationJ. Mol. Med. 2007, 85(1):63-73
- Interferon-γ Limits Diabetogenic CD8<sup>+</sup> T-Cell Effector Responses in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Authors: Driver JP, Racine JJ, Ye C, Lamont DJ, Newby BN, Leeth CM, Chapman HD, Brusko TM, Chen YG, Mathews CE, Serreze DV
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Spleen-derived dendritic cells engineered to enhance interleukin-12 production elicit therapeutic antitumor immune responses.
- Authors: Furumoto K, Arii S, Yamasaki S, Mizumoto M, Mori A, Inoue N, Isobe N, Imamura M
- Issue date: 2000 Sep 1
- Ex vivo culture with interleukin (IL)-12 improves CD8(+) T-cell adoptive immunotherapy for murine leukemia independent of IL-18 or IFN-gamma but requires perforin.
- Authors: Macgregor JN, Li Q, Chang AE, Braun TM, Hughes DP, McDonagh KT
- Issue date: 2006 May 1
- Antitumor effect of interleukin (IL)-12 in the absence of endogenous IFN-gamma: a role for intrinsic tumor immunogenicity and IL-15.
- Authors: Gri G, Chiodoni C, Gallo E, Stoppacciaro A, Liew FY, Colombo MP
- Issue date: 2002 Aug 1
- Corrective effects of interleukin-12 on age-related deficiencies in IFN-gamma production and IL-12Rbeta2 expression in virus-specific CD8+ T cells.
- Authors: Zhang Y, Acuna CL, Switzer KC, Song L, Sayers R, Mbawuike IN
- Issue date: 2000 Feb