Hierarchical involvement of various GGDEF domain proteins in rdar morphotype development of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGGDEF and EAL domain proteins are involved in the turnover of the novel secondary messenger cyclic-di(3'-->5')-guanylic acid (c-di-GMP) in many bacteria. In this work the role of the 12 GGDEF domain proteins encoded by the Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium (S. Typhimurium) chromosome in rdar morphotype development was investigated. Previously, it was shown that the GGDEF domain protein AdrA activated the biosynthesis of cellulose by production of c-di-GMP. Enhancement of the c-di-GMP levels by overexpression of the GGDEF domain protein AdrA did lead to the activation of curli fimbriae biosynthesis through the elevated expression of CsgD and CsgA. Although knock-out of the chromosomal copy of adrA influenced CsgA expression, CsgD expression was not altered, although more than half of the total cellular c-di-GMP was produced by AdrA at 16 h of growth. On the other hand, chromosomally encoded GGDEF-EAL domain proteins STM2123 and STM3388 were required to additively activate CsgD expression on a transcriptional and post-transcriptional level. Enhanced c-di-GMP levels did overcome temperature regulation of rdar morphotype expression by activation of curli fimbriae as well as cellulose biosynthesis through CsgD expression. Thus in the regulatory cascade leading to rdar morphotype expression c-di-GMP activates several subsequent steps in the network.
CitationHierarchical involvement of various GGDEF domain proteins in rdar morphotype development of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium. 2006, 60 (3):602-16 Mol. Microbiol.
AffiliationMicrobiology and Tumor Biology Center (MTC), Karolinska Institutet, Box 280, SE-171 77 Stockholm, Sweden.
- Role of EAL-containing proteins in multicellular behavior of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium.
- Authors: Simm R, Lusch A, Kader A, Andersson M, Römling U
- Issue date: 2007 May
- Detailed analysis of c-di-GMP mediated regulation of csgD expression in Salmonella typhimurium.
- Authors: Ahmad I, Cimdins A, Beske T, Römling U
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 2
- Characterization of the rdar morphotype, a multicellular behaviour in Enterobacteriaceae.
- Authors: Römling U
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- Cyclic-di-GMP-mediated signalling within the sigma network of Escherichia coli.
- Authors: Weber H, Pesavento C, Possling A, Tischendorf G, Hengge R
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Role of the GGDEF protein family in Salmonella cellulose biosynthesis and biofilm formation.
- Authors: García B, Latasa C, Solano C, García-del Portillo F, Gamazo C, Lasa I
- Issue date: 2004 Oct