Crystal structure of a non-discriminating glutamyl-tRNA synthetase.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsSchulze, Jörg O
Heinz, Dirk W
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractError-free protein biosynthesis is dependent on the reliable charging of each tRNA with its cognate amino acid. Many bacteria, however, lack a glutaminyl-tRNA synthetase. In these organisms, tRNA(Gln) is initially mischarged with glutamate by a non-discriminating glutamyl-tRNA synthetase (ND-GluRS). This enzyme thus charges both tRNA(Glu) and tRNA(Gln) with glutamate. Discriminating GluRS (D-GluRS), found in some bacteria and all eukaryotes, exclusively generates Glu-tRNA(Glu). Here we present the first crystal structure of a non-discriminating GluRS from Thermosynechococcus elongatus (ND-GluRS(Tel)) in complex with glutamate at a resolution of 2.45 A. Structurally, the enzyme shares the overall architecture of the discriminating GluRS from Thermus thermophilus (D-GluRS(Tth)). We confirm experimentally that GluRS(Tel) is non-discriminating and present kinetic parameters for synthesis of Glu-tRNA(Glu) and of Glu-tRNA(Gln). Anticodons of tRNA(Glu) (34C/UUC36) and tRNA(Gln) (34C/UUG36) differ only in base 36. The pyrimidine base of C36 is specifically recognized in D-GluRS(Tth) by the residue Arg358. In ND-GluRS(Tel) this arginine residue is replaced by glycine (Gly366) presumably allowing both cytosine and the bulkier purine base G36 of tRNA(Gln) to be tolerated. Most other ND-GluRS share this structural feature, leading to relaxed substrate specificity.
CitationCrystal structure of a non-discriminating glutamyl-tRNA synthetase. 2006, 361 (5):888-97 J. Mol. Biol.
AffiliationDivision of Structural Biology, German Research Centre for Biotechnology (GBF), Mascheroder Weg 1, D-38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
JournalJournal of molecular biology
- Structural basis for anticodon recognition by discriminating glutamyl-tRNA synthetase.
- Authors: Sekine S, Nureki O, Shimada A, Vassylyev DG, Yokoyama S
- Issue date: 2001 Mar
- Crystal structure of glutamyl-queuosine tRNAAsp synthetase complexed with L-glutamate: structural elements mediating tRNA-independent activation of glutamate and glutamylation of tRNAAsp anticodon.
- Authors: Blaise M, Olieric V, Sauter C, Lorber B, Roy B, Karmakar S, Banerjee R, Becker HD, Kern D
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 19
- Structure of nondiscriminating glutamyl-tRNA synthetase from Thermotoga maritima.
- Authors: Ito T, Kiyasu N, Matsunaga R, Takahashi S, Yokoyama S
- Issue date: 2010 Jul
- Glutamyl-tRNA sythetase.
- Authors: Freist W, Gauss DH, Söll D, Lapointe J
- Issue date: 1997 Nov
- Divergent anticodon recognition in contrasting glutamyl-tRNA synthetases.
- Authors: Lee J, Hendrickson TL
- Issue date: 2004 Dec 10