Carbonic anhydrase subunits form a matrix-exposed domain attached to the membrane arm of mitochondrial complex I in plants.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Dudkina, Natalya V
Boekema, Egbert J
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractComplex I of Arabidopsis includes five structurally related subunits representing gamma-type carbonic anhydrases termed CA1, CA2, CA3, CAL1, and CAL2. The position of these subunits within complex I was investigated. Direct analysis of isolated subcomplexes of complex I by liquid chromatography linked to tandem mass spectrometry allowed the assignment of the CA subunits to the membrane arm of complex I. Carbonate extraction experiments revealed that CA2 is an integral membrane protein that is protected upon protease treatment of isolated mitoplasts, indicating a location on the matrix-exposed side of the complex. A structural characterization by single particle electron microscopy of complex I from the green alga Polytomella and a previous analysis from Arabidopsis indicate a plant-specific spherical extra-domain of about 60 A in diameter, which is attached to the central part of the membrane arm of complex I on its matrix face. This spherical domain is proposed to contain a heterotrimer of three CA subunits, which are anchored with their C termini to the hydrophobic arm of complex I. Functional implications of the complex I-integrated CA subunits are discussed.
CitationCarbonic anhydrase subunits form a matrix-exposed domain attached to the membrane arm of mitochondrial complex I in plants. 2006, 281 (10):6482-8 J. Biol. Chem.
AffiliationInstitut für Angewandte Genetik, Universität Hannover, Herrenhäuser Strasse 2, D-30419 Hannover, Germany.
- A ferredoxin bridge connects the two arms of plant mitochondrial complex I.
- Authors: Klusch N, Senkler J, Yildiz Ö, Kühlbrandt W, Braun HP
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 19
- The carbonic anhydrase domain of plant mitochondrial complex I.
- Authors: Fromm S, Senkler J, Zabaleta E, Peterhänsel C, Braun HP
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Different Types Domains are Present in Complex I from Immature Seeds and of CA Adult Plants in Arabidopsis thaliana.
- Authors: Cï Rdoba JP, Fassolari M, Marchetti F, Soto DB, Pagnussat GC, Zabaleta E
- Issue date: 2019 May 1
- Depletion of the "gamma-type carbonic anhydrase-like" subunits of complex I affects central mitochondrial metabolism in Arabidopsis thaliana.
- Authors: Fromm S, Göing J, Lorenz C, Peterhänsel C, Braun HP
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- A structural investigation of complex I and I+III2 supercomplex from Zea mays at 11-13 A resolution: assignment of the carbonic anhydrase domain and evidence for structural heterogeneity within complex I.
- Authors: Peters K, Dudkina NV, Jänsch L, Braun HP, Boekema EJ
- Issue date: 2008 Jan