NRF IRES activity is mediated by RNA binding protein JKTBP1 and a 14-nt RNA element.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsReboll, Marc René
Gazdag, Aniko Carla
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe mRNA of human NF-kappaB repressing factor (NRF) contains a long 5'-untranslated region (UTR) that directs ribosomes to the downstream start codon by a cap-independent mechanism. Comparison of the nucleotide (nt) sequences of human and mouse NRF mRNAs reveals a high degree of identity throughout a fragment of 150 nt proximal to the start codon. Here, we show that this region constitutes a minimal internal ribosome entry segment (IRES) module. Enzymatic RNA structure analysis reveals a secondary structure model of the NRF IRES module. Point mutation analysis of the module determines a short, 14-nt RNA element (nt 640-653) as a mediator of IRES function. Purification of IRES binding cellular proteins and subsequent ESI/MS/MS sequence analysis led to identification of the RNA-binding protein, JKTBP1. EMSA experiments show that JKTBP1 binds upstream to the 14-nt RNA element in the NRF IRES module (nt 579-639). Over-expression of JKTBP1 significantly enhances activity of the NRF IRES module in dicistronic constructs. Moreover, siRNA experiments demonstrate that down-regulation of endogenous JKTBP1 decreases NRF IRES activity and the level of endogenous NRF protein. The data of this study show that JKTBP1 and the 14-nt element act independently to mediate NRF IRES activity.
CitationNRF IRES activity is mediated by RNA binding protein JKTBP1 and a 14-nt RNA element. 2007, 13 (8):1328-40 RNA
AffiliationInstitute of Pharmacology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany.
JournalRNA (New York, N.Y.)
The following license files are associated with this item:
- JKTBP1 is involved in stabilization and IRES-dependent translation of NRF mRNAs by binding to 5' and 3' untranslated regions.
- Authors: Omnus DJ, Mehrtens S, Ritter B, Resch K, Yamada M, Frank R, Nourbakhsh M, Reboll MR
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 8
- UNR translation can be driven by an IRES element that is negatively regulated by polypyrimidine tract binding protein.
- Authors: Cornelis S, Tinton SA, Schepens B, Bruynooghe Y, Beyaert R
- Issue date: 2005
- Internal initiation of translation directed by the 5'-untranslated region of the tobamovirus subgenomic RNA I(2).
- Authors: Skulachev MV, Ivanov PA, Karpova OV, Korpela T, Rodionova NP, Dorokhov YL, Atabekov JG
- Issue date: 1999 Oct 10
- Distinctive properties of the 5'-untranslated region of human hsp70 mRNA.
- Authors: Rubtsova MP, Sizova DV, Dmitriev SE, Ivanov DS, Prassolov VS, Shatsky IN
- Issue date: 2003 Jun 20
- A search for structurally similar cellular internal ribosome entry sites.
- Authors: Baird SD, Lewis SM, Turcotte M, Holcik M
- Issue date: 2007