Synthesis and characterization of human transferrin-stabilized gold nanoclusters.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHuman transferrin has been biolabelled with gold nanoclusters (Au NCs) using a simple, fast and non-toxic method. These nanocrystals (<2 nm) are stabilized in the protein via sulfur groups and have a high fluorescence emission in the near infrared region (QY=4.3%; λem=695 nm). Structural investigation and photophysical measurements show a high population of clusters formed of 22-33 gold atoms covalently bound to the transferrin. In solutions with pH ranging from 5 to 10 and in buffer solutions (PBS, HEPES), those biolabelled proteins exhibit a good stability. No significant quenching effect of the fluorescent transferrin has been detected after iron loading of iron-free transferrin (apoTf) and in the presence of a specific polyclonal antibody. Additionally, antibody-induced agglomeration demonstrates no alteration in the protein activity and the receptor target ability. MTT and Vialight® Plus tests show no cytotoxicity of these labelled proteins in cells (1 µg ml(-1)-1 mg ml(-1)). Cell line experiments (A549) indicate also an uptake of the iron loaded fluorescent proteins inside cells. These remarkable data highlight the potential of a new type of non-toxic fluorescent transferrin for imaging and targeting.
CitationSynthesis and characterization of human transferrin-stabilized gold nanoclusters. 2011, 22 (27):275103 Nanotechnology
AffiliationPharmaceutical Nanotechnology, Saarland University, Saarbrücken, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Molecular-receptor-specific, non-toxic, near-infrared-emitting Au cluster-protein nanoconjugates for targeted cancer imaging.
- Authors: Retnakumari A, Setua S, Menon D, Ravindran P, Muhammed H, Pradeep T, Nair S, Koyakutty M
- Issue date: 2010 Feb 5
- One-pot synthesis of near-infrared fluorescent gold clusters for cellular fluorescence lifetime imaging.
- Authors: Shang L, Azadfar N, Stockmar F, Send W, Trouillet V, Bruns M, Gerthsen D, Nienhaus GU
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 19
- CD33 monoclonal antibody conjugated Au cluster nano-bioprobe for targeted flow-cytometric detection of acute myeloid leukaemia.
- Authors: Retnakumari A, Jayasimhan J, Chandran P, Menon D, Nair S, Mony U, Koyakutty M
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 15
- Targeting polymeric fluorescent nanodiamond-gold/silver multi-functional nanoparticles as a light-transforming hyperthermia reagent for cancer cells.
- Authors: Cheng LC, Chen HM, Lai TC, Chan YC, Liu RS, Sung JC, Hsiao M, Chen CH, Her LJ, Tsai DP
- Issue date: 2013 May 7
- Folate-modified gold nanoclusters as near-infrared fluorescent probes for tumor imaging and therapy.
- Authors: Chen H, Li S, Li B, Ren X, Li S, Mahounga DM, Cui S, Gu Y, Achilefu S
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 28