Polysaccharide synthesis of the levansucrase SacB from Bacillus megaterium is controlled by distinct surface motifs.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDespite the widespread biological function of carbohydrates, the polysaccharide synthesis mechanisms of glycosyltransferases remain largely unexplored. Bacterial levansucrases (glycoside hydrolase family 68) synthesize high molecular weight, β-(2,6)-linked levan from sucrose by transfer of fructosyl units. The kinetic and biochemical characterization of Bacillus megaterium levansucrase SacB variants Y247A, Y247W, N252A, D257A, and K373A reveal novel surface motifs remote from the sucrose binding site with distinct influence on the polysaccharide product spectrum. The wild type activity (k(cat)) and substrate affinity (K(m)) are maintained. The structures of the SacB variants reveal clearly distinguishable subsites for polysaccharide synthesis as well as an intact active site architecture. These results lead to a new understanding of polysaccharide synthesis mechanisms. The identified surface motifs are discussed in the context of related glycosyltransferases.
CitationPolysaccharide synthesis of the levansucrase SacB from Bacillus megaterium is controlled by distinct surface motifs. 2011, 286 (20):17593-600 J. Biol. Chem.
AffiliationDepartment of Molecular Structural Biology, Helmholtz-Centre for Infection Research, Inhoffenstrasse 7B, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Expression and Characterization of Levansucrase from Clostridium acetobutylicum.
- Authors: Gao S, Qi X, Hart DJ, Gao H, An Y
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 1
- A close look at the structural features and reaction conditions that modulate the synthesis of low and high molecular weight fructans by levansucrases.
- Authors: Ortiz-Soto ME, Porras-Domínguez JR, Seibel J, López-Munguía A
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 1
- [Application of levansucrase in levan synthesis--a review].
- Authors: Lu J, Lu L, Xiao M
- Issue date: 2014 Jun 4
- Exploring the sequence variability of polymerization-involved residues in the production of levan- and inulin-type fructooligosaccharides with a levansucrase.
- Authors: Possiel C, Ortiz-Soto ME, Ertl J, Münch A, Vogel A, Schmiedel R, Seibel J
- Issue date: 2019 May 22
- Rational designed mutagenesis of levansucrase from Bacillus licheniformis 8-37-0-1 for product specificity study.
- Authors: He C, Yang Y, Zhao R, Qu J, Jin L, Lu L, Xu L, Xiao M
- Issue date: 2018 Apr