Identification of tumor-specific Salmonella Typhimurium promoters and their regulatory logic.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Deyneko, Igor V
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractConventional cancer therapies are often limited in effectiveness and exhibit strong side effects. Therefore, alternative therapeutic strategies are demanded. The employment of tumor-colonizing bacteria that exert anticancer effects is such a novel approach that attracts increasing attention. For instance, Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium has been used in many animal tumor models as well as in first clinical studies. These bacteria exhibit inherent tumoricidal effects. In addition, they can be used to deliver therapeutic agents. However, bacterial expression has to be restricted to the tumor to prevent toxic substances from harming healthy tissue. Therefore, we screened an S. Typhimurium promoter-trap library to identify promoters that exclusively drive gene expression in the cancerous tissue. Twelve elements could be detected that show reporter gene expression in tumors but not in spleen and liver. In addition, a DNA motif was identified that appears to be necessary for tumor specificity. Now, such tumor-specific promoters can be used to safely express therapeutic proteins by tumor-colonizing S. Typhimurium directly in the neoplasia.
CitationIdentification of tumor-specific Salmonella Typhimurium promoters and their regulatory logic. 2012, 40 (7):2984-94 Nucleic Acids Res.
AffiliationMolecular Immunology, Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research, Inhoffenstr. 7, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany. email@example.com
JournalNucleic acids research
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Remote control of tumour-targeted Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium by the use of L-arabinose as inducer of bacterial gene expression in vivo.
- Authors: Loessner H, Endmann A, Leschner S, Westphal K, Rohde M, Miloud T, Hämmerling G, Neuhaus K, Weiss S
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- Proteomic screening of anaerobically regulated promoters from Salmonella and its antitumor applications.
- Authors: Chen J, Wei D, Zhuang H, Qiao Y, Tang B, Zhang X, Wei J, Fang S, Chen G, Du P, Huang X, Jiang W, Hu Q, Hua ZC
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Tumor-targeting amino acid auxotrophic Salmonella typhimurium.
- Authors: Hoffman RM
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Salmonella promoters preferentially activated inside tumors.
- Authors: Arrach N, Zhao M, Porwollik S, Hoffman RM, McClelland M
- Issue date: 2008 Jun 15
- Synergistic antitumoral effects of human telomerase reverse transcriptase-mediated dual-apoptosis-related gene vector delivered by orally attenuated Salmonella enterica Serovar Typhimurium in murine tumor models.
- Authors: Fu W, Chu L, Han X, Liu X, Ren D
- Issue date: 2008 Jun