Rapid identification of viridans streptococci by mass spectrometric discrimination.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractViridans streptococci (VS) are responsible for several systemic diseases, such as endocarditis, abscesses, and septicemia. Unfortunately, species identification by conventional methods seems to be more difficult than species identification of other groups of bacteria. The aim of the present study was to evaluate the use of cell matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF-MS) for the rapid identification of 10 different species of VS. A total of 99 VS clinical isolates, 10 reference strains, and 20 strains from our in-house culture collection were analyzed by MALDI-TOF-MS. To evaluate the mass-spectrometric discrimination results, all strains were identified in parallel by phenotypic and genotypic methods. MALDI-TOF-MS identified 71 isolates as the mitis group, 23 as the anginosus group, and 5 as Streptococcus salivarius. Comparison of the species identification results obtained by the MALDI-TOF-MS analyses and with the phenotypic/genotypic identification systems showed 100% consistency at the species level. Thus, MALDI-TOF-MS seems to be a rapid and reliable method for the identification of species of VS from clinical samples.
CitationRapid identification of viridans streptococci by mass spectrometric discrimination. 2007, 45 (8):2392-7 J. Clin. Microbiol.
AffiliationInstitute for Medical Microbiology and Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases, University of Leipzig, Liebigstr. 24, D-04105 Leipzig, Germany. firstname.lastname@example.org
JournalJournal of clinical microbiology
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Value of matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight for routine identification of viridans group streptococci causing bloodstream infections.
- Authors: López Roa P, Sánchez Carrillo C, Marín M, Romero F, Cercenado E, Bouza E
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Comparison of species identification of endocarditis associated viridans streptococci using rnpB genotyping and 2 MALDI-TOF systems.
- Authors: Isaksson J, Rasmussen M, Nilson B, Stadler LS, Kurland S, Olaison L, Ek E, Herrmann B
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Evaluation of two matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry systems for identification of viridans group streptococci.
- Authors: Kärpänoja P, Harju I, Rantakokko-Jalava K, Haanperä M, Sarkkinen H
- Issue date: 2014 May
- High-throughput identification of bacteria and yeast by matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry in conventional medical microbiology laboratories.
- Authors: van Veen SQ, Claas EC, Kuijper EJ
- Issue date: 2010 Mar
- [Comparison of MALDI-TOF and 16S rRNA methods in identification of viridans group streptococci].
- Authors: Süzük Yıldız S, Kaşkatepe B, Altınok S, Çetin M, Karagöz A, Savaş S
- Issue date: 2017 Jan