Pseudomonas aeruginosa cupA-encoded fimbriae expression is regulated by a GGDEF and EAL domain-dependent modulation of the intracellular level of cyclic diguanylate.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCyclic-diguanylate (c-di-GMP) is a widespread bacterial signal molecule that plays a major role in the modulation of cellular surface components, such as exopolysaccharides and fimbriae, and in the establishment of a sessile life style. Here, we report that intracellular c-di-GMP levels influence cupA-encoded fimbriae expression in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. In an autoaggregative P. aeruginosa small colony variant (SCV) CupA fimbriae and the intracellular c-di-GMP concentration were found to be enhanced as compared with the clonal wild-type. The SCV morphology and the expression of CupA fimbriae were dependent on a functional PA1120 and morA gene both encoding a GGDEF domain. Overexpression of the GGDEF domain protein PA1120 complemented the PA1120 and the morA mutant with respect to CupA fimbriae expression. In agreement with these findings, overexpression of the EAL domain containing phenotypic variance regulator (PvrR) in the SCV resulted in a decreased intracellular level of c-di-GMP, a reduced cupA fimbriae expression and a switch to wild-type colony morphology.
CitationPseudomonas aeruginosa cupA-encoded fimbriae expression is regulated by a GGDEF and EAL domain-dependent modulation of the intracellular level of cyclic diguanylate. 2007, 9 (10):2475-85 Environ. Microbiol.
AffiliationDivision of Cell Biology and Immunology, Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research, Inhoffenstrasse 7, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Cyclic-di-GMP-mediated signalling within the sigma network of Escherichia coli.
- Authors: Weber H, Pesavento C, Possling A, Tischendorf G, Hengge R
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Expression of Pseudomonas aeruginosa CupD fimbrial genes is antagonistically controlled by RcsB and the EAL-containing PvrR response regulators.
- Authors: Mikkelsen H, Ball G, Giraud C, Filloux A
- Issue date: 2009 Jun 23
- Hierarchical involvement of various GGDEF domain proteins in rdar morphotype development of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium.
- Authors: Kader A, Simm R, Gerstel U, Morr M, Römling U
- Issue date: 2006 May
- The second messenger bis-(3'-5')-cyclic-GMP and its PilZ domain-containing receptor Alg44 are required for alginate biosynthesis in Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
- Authors: Merighi M, Lee VT, Hyodo M, Hayakawa Y, Lory S
- Issue date: 2007 Aug
- Type IV pilus assembly in Pseudomonas aeruginosa over a broad range of cyclic di-GMP concentrations.
- Authors: Jain R, Behrens AJ, Kaever V, Kazmierczak BI
- Issue date: 2012 Aug