Molecular dynamics reveal binding mode of glutathionylspermidine by trypanothione synthetase.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Sotriffer, Christoph A
Selzer, Paul M
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe trypanothione synthetase (TryS) catalyses the two-step biosynthesis of trypanothione from spermidine and glutathione and is an attractive new drug target for the development of trypanocidal and antileishmanial drugs, especially since the structural information of TryS from Leishmania major has become available. Unfortunately, the TryS structure was solved without any of the substrates and lacks loop regions that are mechanistically important. This contribution describes docking and molecular dynamics simulations that led to further insights into trypanothione biosynthesis and, in particular, explains the binding modes of substrates for the second catalytic step. The structural model essentially confirm previously proposed binding sites for glutathione, ATP and two Mg(2+) ions, which appear identical for both catalytic steps. The analysis of an unsolved loop region near the proposed spermidine binding site revealed a new pocket that was demonstrated to bind glutathionylspermidine in an inverted orientation. For the second step of trypanothione synthesis glutathionylspermidine is bound in a way that preferentially allows N(1)-glutathionylation of N(8)-glutathionylspermidine, classifying N(8)-glutathionylspermidine as the favoured substrate. By inhibitor docking, the binding site for N(8)-glutathionylspermidine was characterised as druggable.
CitationMolecular dynamics reveal binding mode of glutathionylspermidine by trypanothione synthetase. 2013, 8 (2):e56788 PLoS ONE
AffiliationMSD Animal Health Innovation GmbH, Schwabenheim, Germany. firstname.lastname@example.org
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Trypanothione synthesis in crithidia revisited.
- Authors: Comini M, Menge U, Wissing J, Flohé L
- Issue date: 2005 Feb 25
- Trypanothione biosynthesis in Leishmania major.
- Authors: Oza SL, Shaw MP, Wyllie S, Fairlamb AH
- Issue date: 2005 Jan
- Genetic and chemical analyses reveal that trypanothione synthetase but not glutathionylspermidine synthetase is essential for Leishmania infantum.
- Authors: Sousa AF, Gomes-Alves AG, Benítez D, Comini MA, Flohé L, Jaeger T, Passos J, Stuhlmann F, Tomás AM, Castro H
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- A single enzyme catalyses formation of Trypanothione from glutathione and spermidine in Trypanosoma cruzi.
- Authors: Oza SL, Tetaud E, Ariyanayagam MR, Warnon SS, Fairlamb AH
- Issue date: 2002 Sep 27
- Properties of trypanothione synthetase from Trypanosoma brucei.
- Authors: Oza SL, Ariyanayagam MR, Aitcheson N, Fairlamb AH
- Issue date: 2003 Sep