Phosphorylation of Atg5 by the Gadd45β-MEKK4-p38 pathway inhibits autophagy.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Liebermann, D A
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAutophagy is a lysosomal degradation pathway important for cellular homeostasis, mammalian development, cancer and immunity. Many molecular components of autophagy have been identified, but little is known about regulatory mechanisms controlling their effector functions. Here, we show that, in contrast to other p38 MAP kinase activators, the growth arrest and DNA damage 45 beta (Gadd45β)-MAPK/ERK kinase kinase 4 (MEKK4) pathway specifically directs p38 to autophagosomes. This process results in an accumulation of autophagosomes through p38-mediated inhibition of lysosome fusion. Conversely, autophagic flux is increased in p38-deficient fibroblasts and Gadd45β-deficient cells. We further identified the underlying mechanism and demonstrate that phosphorylation of the autophagy regulator autophagy-related (Atg)5 at threonine 75 through p38 is responsible for inhibition of starvation-induced autophagy. Thus, we show for the first time that Atg5 activity is controlled by phosphorylation and, moreover, that the spatial regulation of p38 by Gadd45β/MEKK4 negatively regulates the autophagic process.
CitationPhosphorylation of Atg5 by the Gadd45β-MEKK4-p38 pathway inhibits autophagy. 2013, 20 (2):321-32 Cell Death Differ.
AffiliationInstitute of Medical Microbiology and Hospital Hygiene, Heinrich-Heine-University, Universitätsstr. 1, Düsseldorf, Germany.
JournalCell death and differentiation
The following license files are associated with this item:
- ALV-J inhibits autophagy through the GADD45β/MEKK4/P38MAPK signaling pathway and mediates apoptosis following autophagy.
- Authors: Liao Z, Zhang X, Song C, Lin W, Cheng Y, Xie Z, Chen S, Nie Y, Li A, Zhang H, Li H, Li H, Xie Q
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 12
- Inhibition of autophagy through MAPK14-mediated phosphorylation of ATG5.
- Authors: Höcker R, Walker A, Schmitz I
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- GADD45beta/GADD45gamma and MEKK4 comprise a genetic pathway mediating STAT4-independent IFNgamma production in T cells.
- Authors: Chi H, Lu B, Takekawa M, Davis RJ, Flavell RA
- Issue date: 2004 Apr 7
- MEKK4 stimulation of p38 and JNK activity is negatively regulated by GSK3beta.
- Authors: Abell AN, Granger DA, Johnson GL
- Issue date: 2007 Oct 19
- Smad-dependent GADD45beta expression mediates delayed activation of p38 MAP kinase by TGF-beta.
- Authors: Takekawa M, Tatebayashi K, Itoh F, Adachi M, Imai K, Saito H
- Issue date: 2002 Dec 2