Recent progress in pharmaceutical therapies for castration-resistant prostate cancer.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSince 2010, six drugs have been approved for the treatment of castration-resistant prostate cancer, i.e., CYP17 inhibitor Abiraterone, androgen receptor antagonist Enzalutamide, cytotoxic agent Cabazitaxel, vaccine Sipuleucel-T, antibody Denosumab against receptor activator of nuclear factor kappa B ligand and radiopharmaceutical Alpharadin. All these drugs demonstrate improvement on overall survival, expect for Denosumab, which increases the bone mineral density of patients under androgen deprivation therapy and prolongs bone-metastasis-free survival. Besides further CYP17 inhibitors (Orteronel, Galeterone, VT-464 and CFG920), androgen receptor antagonists (ARN-509, ODM-201, AZD-3514 and EZN-4176) and vaccine Prostvac, more drug candidates with various mechanisms or new indications of launched drugs are currently under evaluation in different stages of clinical trials, including various kinase inhibitors and platinum complexes. Some novel strategies have also been proposed aimed at further potentiation of antitumor effects or reduction of side effects and complications related to treatments. Under these flourishing circumstances, more investigations should be performed on the optimal combination or the sequence of treatments needed to delay or reverse possible resistance and thus maximize the clinical benefits for the patients.
CitationRecent progress in pharmaceutical therapies for castration-resistant prostate cancer. 2013, 14 (7):13958-78 Int J Mol Sci
AffiliationPharmaceutical and Medicinal Chemistry, Saarland University & Helmholtz Institute for Pharmaceutical Research Saarland (HIPS), Campus C2-3, Saarbrücken D-66123, Germany. firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer: time for innovation.
- Authors: Tucci M, Scagliotti GV, Vignani F
- Issue date: 2015
- [Novel drugs provide better therapy for prostate cancer].
- Authors: Kellokumpu-Lehtinen P, Tammela T
- Issue date: 2013
- Treating Patients with Metastatic Castration Resistant Prostate Cancer: A Comprehensive Review of Available Therapies.
- Authors: Crawford ED, Higano CS, Shore ND, Hussain M, Petrylak DP
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Contemporary management of metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer.
- Authors: Sonpavde G, Sternberg CN
- Issue date: 2011 May
- New agents in the arsenal to fight castrate-resistant prostate cancer.
- Authors: Ezzell EE, Chang KS, George BJ
- Issue date: 2013 Jun