Direct antiproliferative effect of nonsteroidal 17β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 inhibitors in vitro.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Hartmann, Rolf W
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInhibition of the local formation of estrogens seems to be an attractive strategy for pharmacological intervention in hormone-dependent disorders. The direct antiproliferative properties of ten nonsteroidal 17β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 (17β-HSD1) inhibitors were investigated on human cancer cell lines of gynecological origin. The mechanism of the antiproliferative action was approximated by cell cycle analysis, fluorescent microscopy, BrdU assay, determination of caspase-3 activity and quantification of the expression of cell cycle regulators at mRNA level. Treatment of HeLa cells with some of the compounds resulted in a concentration-dependent inhibition of the G1-S transition and an increase in the apoptotic population. The most effective agents increased the expression of tumor suppressors p21 and p53, while CDK2 and Rb were down-regulated. The reported anticancer actions of the tested compounds are independent of the 17β-HSD1-inhibiting capacity. These results indicate that it is possible to combine direct antiproliferative activity and 17β-HSD1 inhibition resulting in novel agents with dual mode of action.
CitationDirect antiproliferative effect of nonsteroidal 17β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 inhibitors in vitro. 2013, 28 (4):695-703 J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem
AffiliationDepartment of Pharmacodynamics and Biopharmacy, University of Szeged , Szeged , Hungary.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Discovery of potent and orally bioavailable 17β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 3 inhibitors.
- Authors: Harada K, Kubo H, Abe J, Haneta M, Conception A, Inoue S, Okada S, Nishioka K
- Issue date: 2012 May 15
- Novel inhibitors of 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1: templates for design.
- Authors: Allan GM, Vicker N, Lawrence HR, Tutill HJ, Day JM, Huchet M, Ferrandis E, Reed MJ, Purohit A, Potter BV
- Issue date: 2008 Apr 15
- Development of hormone-dependent prostate cancer models for the evaluation of inhibitors of 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 3.
- Authors: Day JM, Tutill HJ, Foster PA, Bailey HV, Heaton WB, Sharland CM, Vicker N, Potter BV, Purohit A, Reed MJ
- Issue date: 2009 Mar 25
- Hydroxybenzothiazoles as new nonsteroidal inhibitors of 17β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 (17β-HSD1).
- Authors: Spadaro A, Negri M, Marchais-Oberwinkler S, Bey E, Frotscher M
- Issue date: 2012
- Synthesis and biological evaluation of 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 (17beta-HSD1) inhibitors based on a thieno[2,3-d]pyrimidin-4(3H)-one core.
- Authors: Lilienkampf A, Karkola S, Alho-Richmond S, Koskimies P, Johansson N, Huhtinen K, Vihko K, Wähälä K
- Issue date: 2009 Nov 12