Serological Evidence of Asymptomatic Infections during Escherichia coli O104:H4 Outbreak in Germany in 2011.
Balabanova et al_final.pdf
Open Access publication
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Faber, Mirko S
Lassen, Sofie Gillesberg
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe largest known outbreak caused by a rare hybrid strain of Shiga toxin-producing E.coli (STEC) and enteroaggregative E. coli (EAEC) (E.coli O104:H4) of serotype O104:H4 occurred in Germany in 2011. Fenugreek sprouts acted as a transmission vehicle and were widely consumed in the outbreak area at the time of the epidemic. In total 3,842 people developed a clinical illness caused by this strain; however the rates of asymptomatic infections remain unclear. We aimed to develop a serological assay for detection of E.coli O104 LPS specific antibodies and to establish the post-outbreak levels of seropositivity among people with documented exposure to contaminated sprouts.
CitationSerological Evidence of Asymptomatic Infections during Escherichia coli O104:H4 Outbreak in Germany in 2011. 2013, 8 (9):e73052 PLoS ONE
AffiliationRobert Koch Institute, Berlin, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Characteristics of the Shiga-toxin-producing enteroaggregative Escherichia coli O104:H4 German outbreak strain and of STEC strains isolated in Spain.
- Authors: Mora A, Herrrera A, López C, Dahbi G, Mamani R, Pita JM, Alonso MP, Llovo J, Bernárdez MI, Blanco JE, Blanco M, Blanco J
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O104:H4 associated with organic fenugreek sprouts, France, June 2011.
- Authors: King LA, Nogareda F, Weill FX, Mariani-Kurkdjian P, Loukiadis E, Gault G, Jourdan-DaSilva N, Bingen E, Macé M, Thevenot D, Ong N, Castor C, Noël H, Van Cauteren D, Charron M, Vaillant V, Aldabe B, Goulet V, Delmas G, Couturier E, Le Strat Y, Combe C, Delmas Y, Terrier F, Vendrely B, Rolland P, de Valk H
- Issue date: 2012 Jun
- Molecular epidemiology of a household outbreak of Shiga-toxin-producing Escherichia coli in Poland due to secondary transmission of STEC O104:H4 from Germany.
- Authors: Januszkiewicz A, Szych J, Rastawicki W, Wołkowicz T, Chróst A, Leszczyńska B, Kuźma E, Roszkowska-Blaim M, Gierczyński R
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- Escherichia coli O104:H4 Pathogenesis: an Enteroaggregative E. coli/Shiga Toxin-Producing E. coli Explosive Cocktail of High Virulence.
- Authors: Navarro-Garcia F
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Epidemic profile of Shiga-toxin-producing Escherichia coli O104:H4 outbreak in Germany.
- Authors: Frank C, Werber D, Cramer JP, Askar M, Faber M, an der Heiden M, Bernard H, Fruth A, Prager R, Spode A, Wadl M, Zoufaly A, Jordan S, Kemper MJ, Follin P, Müller L, King LA, Rosner B, Buchholz U, Stark K, Krause G, HUS Investigation Team
- Issue date: 2011 Nov 10