Measurement of mouse cytomegalovirus-induced interferon-β with immortalized luciferase reporter cells.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Magalhães, Vladimir Gonçalves
Brinkmann, Melanie M
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe production of cytokines is a crucial element of the host response to viral and bacterial infections. To follow these events in vivo, transgenic mice have become a valuable tool to study cytokine production through induction of reporter genes. We describe here the generation and immortalization of cells derived from transgenic reporter mice for development of a high-throughput assay system for virus- or bacteria-induced cytokine induction. As an example we describe mouse cytomegalovirus (MCMV) infection of immortalized fibroblasts derived from mice expressing the firefly luciferase reporter downstream of the IFN-β promoter. Common methods to determine IFN-β production, including ELISA, quantitative real-time PCR (qPCR), and transient reporter assays using plasmid-based reporter constructs, have disadvantages and limitations. Transient transfections influence type I IFN responses in most cell types, and IFN-β ELISA as well as qPCR are both laborious and expensive. The method presented here is highly sensitive as well as cost-effective, and allows monitoring of a robust and dose-dependent induction of IFN-β upon virus infection in cell lysates as well as living cells.
CitationMeasurement of mouse cytomegalovirus-induced interferon-β with immortalized luciferase reporter cells. 2013, 1064:355-66 Methods Mol. Biol.
AffiliationHelmholtz Centre for Infection Research, Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Novel reporter mouse reveals constitutive and inflammatory expression of IFN-beta in vivo.
- Authors: Lienenklaus S, Cornitescu M, Zietara N, Łyszkiewicz M, Gekara N, Jabłónska J, Edenhofer F, Rajewsky K, Bruder D, Hafner M, Staeheli P, Weiss S
- Issue date: 2009 Sep 1
- Visualizing production of beta interferon by astrocytes and microglia in brain of La Crosse virus-infected mice.
- Authors: Kallfass C, Ackerman A, Lienenklaus S, Weiss S, Heimrich B, Staeheli P
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Inhibitory effects associated with use of modified Photinus pyralis and Renilla reniformis luciferase vectors in dual reporter assays and implications for analysis of ISGs.
- Authors: Ghazawi I, Cutler SJ, Low P, Mellick AS, Ralph SJ
- Issue date: 2005 Feb
- Development and Validation of a Novel Dual Luciferase Reporter Gene Assay to Quantify Ebola Virus VP24 Inhibition of IFN Signaling.
- Authors: Fanunza E, Frau A, Sgarbanti M, Orsatti R, Corona A, Tramontano E
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 24