Metaproteomics to unravel major microbial players in leaf litter and soil environments: challenges and perspectives.
Becher et al_final.pdf
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSoil- and litter-borne microorganisms vitally contribute to biogeochemical cycles. However, changes in environmental parameters but also human interferences may alter species composition and elicit alterations in microbial activities. Soil and litter metaproteomics, implying the assignment of soil and litter proteins to specific phylogenetic and functional groups, has a great potential to provide essential new insights into the impact of microbial diversity on soil ecosystem functioning. This article will illuminate challenges and perspectives of current soil and litter metaproteomics research, starting with an introduction to an appropriate experimental design and state-of-the-art proteomics methodologies. This will be followed by a summary of important studies aimed at (i) the discovery of the major biotic drivers of leaf litter decomposition, (ii) metaproteomics analyses of rhizosphere-inhabiting microbes, and (iii) global approaches to study bioremediation processes. The review will be closed by a brief outlook on future developments and some concluding remarks, which should assist the reader to develop successful concepts for soil and litter metaproteomics studies.
CitationMetaproteomics to unravel major microbial players in leaf litter and soil environments: challenges and perspectives. 2013, 13 (18-19):2895-909 Proteomics
AffiliationErnst-Moritz-Arndt-University of Greifswald, Institute of Microbiology, Greifswald, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Soil and leaf litter metaproteomics-a brief guideline from sampling to understanding.
- Authors: Keiblinger KM, Fuchs S, Zechmeister-Boltenstern S, Riedel K
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- [Applications of soil metaproteomics in soil pollution assessment: a review].
- Authors: Zhang X, Li F, Liu TT, Chen YX
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Sample Preparation for Metaproteome Analyses of Soil and Leaf Litter.
- Authors: Keiblinger KM, Riedel K
- Issue date: 2018
- Functional diversity of terrestrial microbial decomposers and their substrates.
- Authors: Hättenschwiler S, Fromin N, Barantal S
- Issue date: 2011 May
- Who is who in litter decomposition? Metaproteomics reveals major microbial players and their biogeochemical functions.
- Authors: Schneider T, Keiblinger KM, Schmid E, Sterflinger-Gleixner K, Ellersdorfer G, Roschitzki B, Richter A, Eberl L, Zechmeister-Boltenstern S, Riedel K
- Issue date: 2012 Sep