Neuroprotective intervention by interferon-γ blockade prevents CD8+ T cell-mediated dendrite and synapse loss.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Bonilla, Weldy V
Pinschewer, Daniel D
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNeurons are postmitotic and thus irreplaceable cells of the central nervous system (CNS). Accordingly, CNS inflammation with resulting neuronal damage can have devastating consequences. We investigated molecular mediators and structural consequences of CD8(+) T lymphocyte (CTL) attack on neurons in vivo. In a viral encephalitis model in mice, disease depended on CTL-derived interferon-γ (IFN-γ) and neuronal IFN-γ signaling. Downstream STAT1 phosphorylation and nuclear translocation in neurons were associated with dendrite and synapse loss (deafferentation). Analogous molecular and structural alterations were also found in human Rasmussen encephalitis, a CTL-mediated human autoimmune disorder of the CNS. Importantly, therapeutic intervention by IFN-γ blocking antibody prevented neuronal deafferentation and clinical disease without reducing CTL responses or CNS infiltration. These findings identify neuronal IFN-γ signaling as a novel target for neuroprotective interventions in CTL-mediated CNS disease.
CitationNeuroprotective intervention by interferon-γ blockade prevents CD8+ T cell-mediated dendrite and synapse loss. 2013, 210 (10):2087-103 J. Exp. Med.
AffiliationDepartment of Pathology and Immunology and 2 World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Vaccine Immunology, University of Geneva, 1211 Geneva, Switzerland.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- IFN-γ and CD25 drive distinct pathologic features during hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis.
- Authors: Humblet-Baron S, Franckaert D, Dooley J, Ailal F, Bousfiha A, Deswarte C, Oleaga-Quintas C, Casanova JL, Bustamante J, Liston A
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- Interferon-gamma prevents death of bystander neurons during CD8 T cell responses in the brain.
- Authors: Richter K, Hausmann J, Staeheli P
- Issue date: 2009 May
- SOCS-1 protects from virally-induced CD8 T cell mediated type 1 diabetes.
- Authors: Barral AM, Thomas HE, Ling EM, Darwiche R, Rodrigo E, Christen U, Ejrnaes M, Wolfe T, Kay TW, von Herrath MG
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Low-affinity cytotoxic T-lymphocytes require IFN-gamma to clear an acute viral infection.
- Authors: Von Herrath MG, Coon B, Oldstone MB
- Issue date: 1997 Mar 17
- Attenuation of the cytotoxic T lymphocyte response to lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus in mice subjected to chronic social stress.
- Authors: Sommershof A, Basler M, Riether C, Engler H, Groettrup M
- Issue date: 2011 Feb