Genome sequence of the thermophilic fresh-water bacterium Spirochaeta caldaria type strain (H1(T)), reclassification of Spirochaeta caldaria, Spirochaeta stenostrepta, and Spirochaeta zuelzerae in the genus Treponema as Treponema caldaria comb. nov., Treponema stenostrepta comb. nov., and Treponema zuelzerae comb. nov., and emendation of the genus Treponema.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Goodwin, Lynne A
Jeffries, Cynthia D
Detter, John C
Eisen, Jonathan A
Kyrpides, Nikos C
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSpirochaeta caldaria Pohlschroeder et al. 1995 is an obligately anaerobic, spiral-shaped bacterium that is motile via periplasmic flagella. The type strain, H1(T), was isolated in 1990 from cyanobacterial mat samples collected at a freshwater hot spring in Oregon, USA, and is of interest because it enhances the degradation of cellulose when grown in co-culture with Clostridium thermocellum. Here we provide a taxonomic re-evaluation for S. caldaria based on phylogenetic analyses of 16S rRNA sequences and whole genomes, and propose the reclassification of S. caldaria and two other Spirochaeta species as members of the emended genus Treponema. Whereas genera such as Borrelia and Sphaerochaeta possess well-distinguished genomic features related to their divergent lifestyles, the physiological and functional genomic characteristics of Spirochaeta and Treponema appear to be intermixed and are of little taxonomic value. The 3,239,340 bp long genome of strain H1(T) with its 2,869 protein-coding and 59 RNA genes is a part of the G enomic E ncyclopedia of Bacteria and Archaea project.
CitationGenome sequence of the thermophilic fresh-water bacterium Spirochaeta caldaria type strain (H1(T)), reclassification of Spirochaeta caldaria, Spirochaeta stenostrepta, and Spirochaeta zuelzerae in the genus Treponema as Treponema caldaria comb. nov., Treponema stenostrepta comb. nov., and Treponema zuelzerae comb. nov., and emendation of the genus Treponema. 2013, 8 (1):88-105 Stand Genomic Sci
AffiliationLeibniz Institute DSMZ - German Collection of Microorganisms and Cell Cultures, Braunschweig, Germany.
JournalStandards in genomic sciences
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Complete genome sequence of the termite hindgut bacterium Spirochaeta coccoides type strain (SPN1(T)), reclassification in the genus Sphaerochaeta as Sphaerochaeta coccoides comb. nov. and emendations of the family Spirochaetaceae and the genus Sphaerochaeta.
- Authors: Abt B, Han C, Scheuner C, Lu M, Lapidus A, Nolan M, Lucas S, Hammon N, Deshpande S, Cheng JF, Tapia R, Goodwin LA, Pitluck S, Liolios K, Pagani I, Ivanova N, Mavromatis K, Mikhailova N, Huntemann M, Pati A, Chen A, Palaniappan K, Land M, Hauser L, Brambilla EM, Rohde M, Spring S, Gronow S, Göker M, Woyke T, Bristow J, Eisen JA, Markowitz V, Hugenholtz P, Kyrpides NC, Klenk HP, Detter JC
- Issue date: 2012 May 25
- Complete genome sequence of the halophilic bacterium Spirochaeta africana type strain (Z-7692(T)) from the alkaline Lake Magadi in the East African Rift.
- Authors: Liolos K, Abt B, Scheuner C, Teshima H, Held B, Lapidus A, Nolan M, Lucas S, Deshpande S, Cheng JF, Tapia R, Goodwin LA, Pitluck S, Pagani I, Ivanova N, Mavromatis K, Mikhailova N, Huntemann M, Pati A, Chen A, Palaniappan K, Land M, Rohde M, Tindall BJ, Detter JC, Göker M, Bristow J, Eisen JA, Markowitz V, Hugenholtz P, Woyke T, Klenk HP, Kyrpides NC
- Issue date: 2013
- Phylogenetic analysis of the spirochetes.
- Authors: Paster BJ, Dewhirst FE, Weisburg WG, Tordoff LA, Fraser GJ, Hespell RB, Stanton TB, Zablen L, Mandelco L, Woese CR
- Issue date: 1991 Oct
- Spirochaeta dissipatitropha sp. nov., an alkaliphilic, obligately anaerobic bacterium, and emended description of the genus Spirochaeta Ehrenberg 1835.
- Authors: Pikuta EV, Hoover RB, Bej AK, Marsic D, Whitman WB, Krader P
- Issue date: 2009 Jul
- Kosmotoga arenicorallina sp. nov. a thermophilic and obligately anaerobic heterotroph isolated from a shallow hydrothermal system occurring within a coral reef, southern part of the Yaeyama Archipelago, Japan, reclassification of Thermococcoides shengliensis as Kosmotoga shengliensis comb. nov., and emended description of the genus Kosmotoga.
- Authors: Nunoura T, Hirai M, Imachi H, Miyazaki M, Makita H, Hirayama H, Furushima Y, Yamamoto H, Takai K
- Issue date: 2010 Oct