The application of the name Xylaria hypoxylon, based on Clavaria hypoxylon of Linnaeus.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAlthough Xylaria hypoxylon is one of the most familiar fungi of temperate regions, the basionym of the name, Clavaria hypoxylon of Linnaeus, has remained untypified. Here we assess the original five elements included in the 1753 protologue; no candidate specimen was located but two illustrations Linnaeus cited were considered, one a mixture of species and the other fanciful. As the name is sanctioned, following clarifications in the Melbourne Code, elements cited by Fries when the name was sanctioned in 1823 are also candidates for lectotypification. In addition to various illustrations, Fries cites two exsiccatae, and one from his own Scleromycetes Suecicae distributed in 1821 is designated as lectotype for Linnaeus' name here. In view of the complexity of the group as revealed by molecular systematic work, and the poor state of the Fries material, we also designate a sequenced epitype from Sweden. We stress the importance of examining fungi in the complex in the sexual state, as those that are asexual can be difficult to identify conclusively. Figures of the original protologues and the most pertinent illustrations and specimens are provided, along with a detailed description and illustrations based on recent collections.
CitationThe application of the name Xylaria hypoxylon, based on Clavaria hypoxylon of Linnaeus. 2014, 5 (1):57-66 IMA Fungus
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Molecular and morphological evidence for the delimitation of Xylaria hypoxylon.
- Authors: Persoh D, Melcher M, Graf K, Fournier J, Stadler M, Rambold G
- Issue date: 2009 Mar-Apr
- Typifications of some species names in Anthurium section Pachyneurium (Araceae).
- Authors: Camelo MC, Temponi LG, Mayo SJ, Coelho MAN, Baumgratz JFA
- Issue date: 2021
- Hypoxylonoids A-G: Isopimarane diterpene glycosides from Xylaria hypoxylon.
- Authors: Zhou P, Zheng M, Li XN, Wei M, Zhang M, Li Q, Zang Y, Sun W, Wang J, Zhu H, Chen C, Zhang Y
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- Lectotypification of the name <i>Stereodon nemoralis</i> Mitt. (Plagiotheciaceae), a basionym of <i>Plagiothecium nemorale</i> (Mitt.) A. Jaeger.
- Authors: Wolski GJ, Faltyn-Parzymska A, Proćków J
- Issue date: 2020
- Lectotypification, epitypification and history of the name <i>Plagiotheciumneglectum</i> Mönk. (Plagiotheciaceae).
- Authors: Wolski GJ, Proćków J
- Issue date: 2022