Crystallization and preliminary X-ray analysis of the ergothioneine-biosynthetic methyltransferase EgtD.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractErgothioneine is an amino-acid betaine derivative of histidine that was discovered more than one century ago. Despite significant research pointing to a function in oxidative stress defence, the exact mechanisms of action of ergothioneine remain elusive. Although both humans and bacterial pathogens such as Mycobacterium tuberculosis seem to depend on ergothioneine, humans are devoid of the corresponding biosynthetic enzymes. Therefore, its biosynthesis may emerge as potential drug target in the development of novel therapeutics against tuberculosis. The recent identification of ergothioneine-biosynthetic genes in M. smegmatis enables a more systematic study of its biology. The pathway is initiated by EgtD, a SAM-dependent methyltransferase that catalyzes a trimethylation reaction of histidine to give N(α),N(α),N(α)-trimethylhistidine. Here, the recombinant production, purification and crystallization of EgtD are reported. Crystals of native EgtD diffracted to 2.35 Å resolution at a synchrotron beamline, whereas crystals of seleno-L-methionine-labelled protein diffracted to 1.75 Å resolution and produced a significant anomalous signal to 2.77 Å resolution at the K edge. All of the crystals belonged to space group P212121, with two EgtD monomers in the asymmetric unit.
CitationCrystallization and preliminary X-ray analysis of the ergothioneine-biosynthetic methyltransferase EgtD. 2014, 70 (Pt 5):676-80 Acta Crystallogr F Struct Biol Commun
AffiliationDept of structure and functions of proteins, Hemholtz Centre for infection research, Inhoffenstr. 7, D-38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Ergothioneine biosynthetic methyltransferase EgtD reveals the structural basis of aromatic amino acid betaine biosynthesis.
- Authors: Vit A, Misson L, Blankenfeldt W, Seebeck FP
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 2
- Inhibition and Regulation of the Ergothioneine Biosynthetic Methyltransferase EgtD.
- Authors: Misson L, Burn R, Vit A, Hildesheim J, Beliaeva MA, Blankenfeldt W, Seebeck FP
- Issue date: 2018 May 18
- Structural insights into the histidine trimethylation activity of EgtD from Mycobacterium smegmatis.
- Authors: Jeong JH, Cha HJ, Ha SC, Rojviriya C, Kim YG
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 3
- In vitro reconstitution of Mycobacterial ergothioneine biosynthesis.
- Authors: Seebeck FP
- Issue date: 2010 May 19
- Ergothioneine is a secreted antioxidant in Mycobacterium smegmatis.
- Authors: Sao Emani C, Williams MJ, Wiid IJ, Hiten NF, Viljoen AJ, Pietersen RD, van Helden PD, Baker B
- Issue date: 2013 Jul