NLRP3 is activated in Alzheimer's disease and contributes to pathology in APP/PS1 mice.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsHeneka, Michael T
Kummer, Markus P
Golenbock, Douglas T
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAlzheimer's disease is the world's most common dementing illness. Deposition of amyloid-β peptide drives cerebral neuroinflammation by activating microglia. Indeed, amyloid-β activation of the NLRP3 inflammasome in microglia is fundamental for interleukin-1β maturation and subsequent inflammatory events. However, it remains unknown whether NLRP3 activation contributes to Alzheimer's disease in vivo. Here we demonstrate strongly enhanced active caspase-1 expression in human mild cognitive impairment and brains with Alzheimer's disease, suggesting a role for the inflammasome in this neurodegenerative disease. Nlrp3(-/-) or Casp1(-/-) mice carrying mutations associated with familial Alzheimer's disease were largely protected from loss of spatial memory and other sequelae associated with Alzheimer's disease, and demonstrated reduced brain caspase-1 and interleukin-1β activation as well as enhanced amyloid-β clearance. Furthermore, NLRP3 inflammasome deficiency skewed microglial cells to an M2 phenotype and resulted in the decreased deposition of amyloid-β in the APP/PS1 model of Alzheimer's disease. These results show an important role for the NLRP3/caspase-1 axis in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease, and suggest that NLRP3 inflammasome inhibition represents a new therapeutic intervention for the disease.
CitationNLRP3 is activated in Alzheimer's disease and contributes to pathology in APP/PS1 mice. 2013, 493 (7434):674-8 Nature
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Dihydromyricetin inhibits microglial activation and neuroinflammation by suppressing NLRP3 inflammasome activation in APP/PS1 transgenic mice.
- Authors: Feng J, Wang JX, Du YH, Liu Y, Zhang W, Chen JF, Liu YJ, Zheng M, Wang KJ, He GQ
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Dl-3-n-Butylphthalide Inhibits NLRP3 Inflammasome and Mitigates Alzheimer's-Like Pathology via Nrf2-TXNIP-TrX Axis.
- Authors: Wang CY, Xu Y, Wang X, Guo C, Wang T, Wang ZY
- Issue date: 2019 Apr 10
- Mechanisms of NLRP3 Inflammasome Activation: Its Role in the Treatment of Alzheimer's Disease.
- Authors: Zhang Y, Zhao Y, Zhang J, Yang G
- Issue date: 2020 Nov
- Inhibiting the NLRP3 inflammasome with MCC950 promotes non-phlogistic clearance of amyloid-β and cognitive function in APP/PS1 mice.
- Authors: Dempsey C, Rubio Araiz A, Bryson KJ, Finucane O, Larkin C, Mills EL, Robertson AAB, Cooper MA, O'Neill LAJ, Lynch MA
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Alterations in the Gut-Microbial-Inflammasome-Brain Axis in a Mouse Model of Alzheimer's Disease.
- Authors: Shukla PK, Delotterie DF, Xiao J, Pierre JF, Rao R, McDonald MP, Khan MM
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 1