In vivo knockdown of Piccolino disrupts presynaptic ribbon morphology in mouse photoreceptor synapses.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Leist, Sarah R
Chiodo, Vince A
Hauswirth, William W
Garner, Craig C
Brandstätter, Johann H
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPiccolo is the largest known cytomatrix protein at active zones of chemical synapses. A growing number of studies on conventional chemical synapses assign Piccolo a role in the recruitment and integration of molecules relevant for both endo- and exocytosis of synaptic vesicles, the dynamic assembly of presynaptic F-actin, as well as the proteostasis of presynaptic proteins, yet a direct function in the structural organization of the active zone has not been uncovered in part due to the expression of multiple alternatively spliced isoforms. We recently identified Piccolino, a Piccolo splice variant specifically expressed in sensory ribbon synapses of the eye and ear. Here we down regulated Piccolino in vivo via an adeno-associated virus-based RNA interference approach and explored the impact on the presynaptic structure of mouse photoreceptor ribbon synapses. Detailed immunocytochemical light and electron microscopical analysis of Piccolino knockdown in photoreceptors revealed a hitherto undescribed photoreceptor ribbon synaptic phenotype with striking morphological changes of synaptic ribbon ultrastructure.
CitationIn vivo knockdown of Piccolino disrupts presynaptic ribbon morphology in mouse photoreceptor synapses. 2014, 8:259 Front Cell Neurosci
The following license files are associated with this item:
- A Multiple Piccolino-RIBEYE Interaction Supports Plate-Shaped Synaptic Ribbons in Retinal Neurons.
- Authors: Müller TM, Gierke K, Joachimsthaler A, Sticht H, Izsvák Z, Hamra FK, Fejtová A, Ackermann F, Garner CC, Kremers J, Brandstätter JH, Regus-Leidig H
- Issue date: 2019 Apr 3
- Identification and immunocytochemical characterization of Piccolino, a novel Piccolo splice variant selectively expressed at sensory ribbon synapses of the eye and ear.
- Authors: Regus-Leidig H, Ott C, Löhner M, Atorf J, Fuchs M, Sedmak T, Kremers J, Fejtová A, Gundelfinger ED, Brandstätter JH
- Issue date: 2013
- Early steps in the assembly of photoreceptor ribbon synapses in the mouse retina: the involvement of precursor spheres.
- Authors: Regus-Leidig H, Tom Dieck S, Specht D, Meyer L, Brandstätter JH
- Issue date: 2009 Feb 20
- Localization of the presynaptic cytomatrix protein Piccolo at ribbon and conventional synapses in the rat retina: comparison with Bassoon.
- Authors: Dick O, Hack I, Altrock WD, Garner CC, Gundelfinger ED, Brandstätter JH
- Issue date: 2001 Oct 15
- Analysis of RIM Expression and Function at Mouse Photoreceptor Ribbon Synapses.
- Authors: Löhner M, Babai N, Müller T, Gierke K, Atorf J, Joachimsthaler A, Peukert A, Martens H, Feigenspan A, Kremers J, Schoch S, Brandstätter JH, Regus-Leidig H
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 16