Development of artemether-loaded nanostructured lipid carrier (NLC) formulation for topical application.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNLC topical formulation as an alternative to oral and parenteral (IM) delivery of artemether (ART), a poorly water-soluble drug was designed. A Phospholipon 85G-modified Gelucire 43/01 based NLC formulation containing 75% Transcutol was chosen from DSC studies and loaded with gradient concentration of ART (100-750mg). ART-loaded NLCs were stable (-22 to -40mV), polydispersed (0.4-0.7) with d90 size distribution range of 247-530nm without microparticles up to one month of storage. The encapsulation efficiency (EE%) for ART in the NLC was concentration independent as 250mg of ART loading achieved ∼61%. DSC confirmed molecular dispersion of ART due to low matrix crystallinity (0.028J/g). Ex vivo study showed detectable ART amounts after 20h which gradually increased over 48h achieving ∼26% cumulative amount permeated irrespective of the applied dose. This proves that ART permeates excised human epidermis, where the current formulation served as a reservoir to gradually control drug release over an extended period of time. Full thickness skin study therefore may confirm if this is a positive signal to hope for a topical delivery system of ART.
CitationDevelopment of artemether-loaded nanostructured lipid carrier (NLC) formulation for topical application. 2014, 477 (1-2):208-17 Int J Pharm
The following license files are associated with this item:
- A new topical formulation for psoriasis: development of methotrexate-loaded nanostructured lipid carriers.
- Authors: Pinto MF, Moura CC, Nunes C, Segundo MA, Costa Lima SA, Reis S
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 30
- Sustained-release liquisolid compact tablets containing artemether-lumefantrine as alternate-day regimen for malaria treatment to improve patient compliance.
- Authors: Nnamani PO, Ugwu AA, Ibezim EC, Kenechukwu FC, Akpa PA, Ogbonna JN, Obitte NC, Odo AN, Windbergs M, Lehr CM, Attama AA
- Issue date: 2016
- Nanostructured lipid carriers (NLC) based topical gel of flurbiprofen: design, characterization and in vivo evaluation.
- Authors: Han F, Yin R, Che X, Yuan J, Cui Y, Yin H, Li S
- Issue date: 2012 Dec 15
- Ameliorating the in vivo antimalarial efficacy of artemether using nanostructured lipid carriers.
- Authors: Vanka R, Kuppusamy G, Praveen Kumar S, Baruah UK, Karri VVSR, Pandey V, Babu PP
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- Nanostructured lipid carriers (NLC) based controlled release topical gel of clobetasol propionate: design and in vivo characterization.
- Authors: Nagaich U, Gulati N
- Issue date: 2016 Jun