Fatty acid-related phylogeny of myxobacteria as an approach to discover polyunsaturated omega-3/6 Fatty acids.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn an analysis of 47 aerobic myxobacterial strains, representing 19 genera in suborders Cystobacterineae, Nannocystineae, Sorangiineae, and a novel isolate, "Aetherobacter" SBSr008, an enormously diverse array of fatty acids (FAs) was found. The distribution of straight-chain fatty acids (SCFAs) and branched-chain fatty acids (BCFAs) supports the reported clustering of strains in the phylogenetic tree based on 16S rRNA genes. This finding additionally allows the prediction and assignment of the novel isolate SBSr008 into its corresponding taxon. Sorangiineae predominantly contains larger amounts of SCFA (57 to 84%) than BCFA. On the other hand, Cystobacterineae exhibit significant BCFA content (53 to 90%), with the exception of the genus Stigmatella. In Nannocystineae, the ratio of BCFA and SCFA seems dependent on the taxonomic clade. Myxobacteria could also be identified and classified by using their specific and predominant FAs as biomarkers. Nannocystineae is remarkably unique among the suborders for its absence of hydroxy FAs. After the identification of arachidonic (AA) FA in Phaselicystidaceae, eight additional polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) belonging to the omega-6 and omega-3 families were discovered. Here we present a comprehensive report of FAs found in aerobic myxobacteria. Gliding bacteria belonging to Flexibacter and Herpetosiphon were chosen for comparative analysis to determine their FA profiles in relation to the myxobacteria.
CitationFatty acid-related phylogeny of myxobacteria as an approach to discover polyunsaturated omega-3/6 Fatty acids. 2011, 193 (8):1930-42 J. Bacteriol.
JournalJournal of bacteriology
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Expanded phylogeny of myxobacteria and evidence for cultivation of the 'unculturables'.
- Authors: Garcia R, Gerth K, Stadler M, Dogma IJ Jr, Müller R
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- Future Directions of Marine Myxobacterial Natural Product Discovery Inferred from Metagenomics.
- Authors: Garcia R, La Clair JJ, Müller R
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 29
- The correlation between morphological and phylogenetic classification of myxobacteria.
- Authors: Spröer C, Reichenbach H, Stackebrandt E
- Issue date: 1999 Jul
- [Phylogenetic analysis of the 16S rRNA and HSP60 gene sequences of the morphology-based taxa of myxobacteria].
- Authors: Jiang D, Zhou X, Tian X, Wu Z, Li Y
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- Exploring the diversity of myxobacteria in a soil niche by myxobacteria-specific primers and probes.
- Authors: Wu ZH, Jiang DM, Li P, Li YZ
- Issue date: 2005 Oct