Protein folding and conformational stress in microbial cells producing recombinant proteins: a host comparative overview.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Tutino, Maria Luisa
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractABSTRACT: Different species of microorganisms including yeasts, filamentous fungi and bacteria have been used in the past 25 years for the controlled production of foreign proteins of scientific, pharmacological or industrial interest. A major obstacle for protein production processes and a limit to overall success has been the abundance of misfolded polypeptides, which fail to reach their native conformation. The presence of misfolded or folding-reluctant protein species causes considerable stress in host cells. The characterization of such adverse conditions and the elicited cell responses have permitted to better understand the physiology and molecular biology of conformational stress. Therefore, microbial cell factories for recombinant protein production are depicted here as a source of knowledge that has considerably helped to picture the extremely rich landscape of in vivo protein folding, and the main cellular players of this complex process are described for the most important cell factories used for biotechnological purposes.
CitationProtein folding and conformational stress in microbial cells producing recombinant proteins: a host comparative overview. 2008, 7:11 Microb. Cell Fact.
AffiliationUniversity of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences Vienna, Department of Biotechnology, Vienna, Austria. firstname.lastname@example.org.
JournalMicrobial cell factories
The following license files are associated with this item:
- 4D imaging of protein aggregation in live cells.
- Authors: Spokoini R, Shamir M, Keness A, Kaganovich D
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 5
- Influence of growth temperature on the production of antibody Fab fragments in different microbes: a host comparative analysis.
- Authors: Dragosits M, Frascotti G, Bernard-Granger L, Vázquez F, Giuliani M, Baumann K, Rodríguez-Carmona E, Tokkanen J, Parrilli E, Wiebe MG, Kunert R, Maurer M, Gasser B, Sauer M, Branduardi P, Pakula T, Saloheimo M, Penttilä M, Ferrer P, Luisa Tutino M, Villaverde A, Porro D, Mattanovich D
- Issue date: 2011 Jan-Feb
- Production of recombinant proteins by filamentous fungi.
- Authors: Ward OP
- Issue date: 2012 Sep-Oct
- Stress in recombinant protein producing yeasts.
- Authors: Mattanovich D, Gasser B, Hohenblum H, Sauer M
- Issue date: 2004 Sep 30
- Optimising yeast as a host for recombinant protein production (review).
- Authors: Bonander N, Bill RM
- Issue date: 2012