A Spatial Model of Insulin-Granule Dynamics in Pancreatic β-Cells.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInsulin secretion from pancreatic β-cells in response to sudden glucose stimulation is biphasic. Prolonged secretion in vivo requires synthesis, delivery to the plasma membrane (PM) and exocytosis of insulin secretory granules (SGs). Here, we provide the first agent-based space-resolved model for SG dynamics in pancreatic β-cells. Using recent experimental data, we consider a single β-cell with identical SGs moving on a phenomenologically represented cytoskeleton network. A single exocytotic machinery mediates SG exocytosis on the PM. This novel model reproduces the measured spatial organization of SGs and insulin secretion patterns under different stimulation protocols. It proposes that the insulin potentiation effect and the rising second-phase secretion are mainly due to the increasing number of docking sites on the PM. Furthermore, it shows that 6 min after glucose stimulation, the 'newcomer' SGs are recruited from a region within less than 600 nm from the PM.
CitationA Spatial Model of Insulin-Granule Dynamics in Pancreatic β-Cells. 2015, 16 (8):797-813 Traffic
AffiliationHelmholtz Centre for infection research, Inhoffenstr. 7, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
JournalTraffic (Copenhagen, Denmark)
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Recent new insights into the role of SNARE and associated proteins in insulin granule exocytosis.
- Authors: Gaisano HY
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Munc18c mediates exocytosis of pre-docked and newcomer insulin granules underlying biphasic glucose stimulated insulin secretion in human pancreatic beta-cells.
- Authors: Zhu D, Xie L, Karimian N, Liang T, Kang Y, Huang YC, Gaisano HY
- Issue date: 2015 May
- Syntaxin-4 mediates exocytosis of pre-docked and newcomer insulin granules underlying biphasic glucose-stimulated insulin secretion in human pancreatic beta cells.
- Authors: Xie L, Zhu D, Dolai S, Liang T, Qin T, Kang Y, Xie H, Huang YC, Gaisano HY
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Synaptotagmin-7 Functions to Replenish Insulin Granules for Exocytosis in Human Islet β-Cells.
- Authors: Dolai S, Xie L, Zhu D, Liang T, Qin T, Xie H, Kang Y, Chapman ER, Gaisano HY
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Syntaxin 2 Acts as Inhibitory SNARE for Insulin Granule Exocytosis.
- Authors: Zhu D, Xie L, Kang Y, Dolai S, Bondo Hansen J, Qin T, Xie H, Liang T, Rubin DC, Osborne L, Gaisano HY
- Issue date: 2017 Apr