Cerebrospinal fluid tau levels are a marker for molecular subtype in sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe molecular subtype of sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (sCJD) is an important prognostic marker for patient survival. However, subtype determination is not possible during lifetime. Because the rate of disease progression is associated with the molecular subtype, this study aimed at investigating if total tau, a marker of neuronal death, allows premortem diagnosis of molecular subtype when codon 129 genotype is known. Two hundred ninety-six sCJD patients were tested for their cerebrospinal fluid total tau level at the time of diagnosis and were investigated for their sCJD subtype postmortem. There was a significant association between tau levels and the prion protein type in patients with codon 129 MM (p < 0.001), MV (p = 0.004), and VV (p = 0.001) genotype. Receiver operating characteristic analyses showed values of area under the curve of 0.76-0.80 for the different genotypes indicating a good diagnostic validity of the test. Total tau can be used as a diagnostic test for the assessment of prion protein type when codon 129 genotype is known. It provides valuable information for physicians and next of kin about the further course of disease.
CitationCerebrospinal fluid tau levels are a marker for molecular subtype in sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. 2015, 36 (5):1964-8 Neurobiol. Aging
AffiliationHelmholtz Centre for infection research, Inhoffenstr. 7, D-38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
JournalNeurobiology of aging
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Cerebrospinal fluid markers in the differentiation of molecular subtypes of sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.
- Authors: Gmitterová K, Heinemann U, Krasnianski A, Gawinecka J, Zerr I
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Subtype and regional regulation of prion biomarkers in sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.
- Authors: Llorens F, Zafar S, Ansoleaga B, Shafiq M, Blanco R, Carmona M, Grau-Rivera O, Nos C, Gelpí E, Del Río JA, Zerr I, Ferrer I
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- The diagnostic efficiency of biomarkers in sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease compared to Alzheimer's disease.
- Authors: Bahl JM, Heegaard NH, Falkenhorst G, Laursen H, Høgenhaven H, Mølbak K, Jespersgaard C, Hougs L, Waldemar G, Johannsen P, Christiansen M
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- The role of cerebrospinal fluid 14-3-3 and other proteins in the diagnosis of sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in the UK: a 10-year review.
- Authors: Chohan G, Pennington C, Mackenzie JM, Andrews M, Everington D, Will RG, Knight RS, Green AJ
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- Cerebrospinal Fluid Biomarkers in the Diagnosis of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease in Slovak Patients: over 10-Year Period Review.
- Authors: Koscova S, Zakova Slivarichova D, Tomeckova I, Melicherova K, Stelzer M, Janakova A, Kosorinova D, Belay G, Mitrova E
- Issue date: 2017 Oct