FurA contributes to the oxidative stress response regulation of Mycobacterium avium ssp. paratuberculosis.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe ferric uptake regulator A (FurA) is known to be involved in iron homeostasis and stress response in many bacteria. In mycobacteria the precise role of FurA is still unclear. In the presented study, we addressed the functional role of FurA in the ruminant pathogen Mycobacterium avium ssp. paratuberculosis (MAP) by construction of a furA deletion strain (MAPΔfurA). RNA deep sequencing revealed that the FurA regulon consists of repressed and activated genes associated to stress response or intracellular survival. Not a single gene related to metal homeostasis was affected by furA deletion. A decisive role of FurA during intracellular survival in macrophages was shown by significantly enhanced survival of MAPΔfurA compared to the wildtype, indicating that a principal task of mycobacterial FurA is oxidative stress response regulation in macrophages. This resistance was not associated with altered survival of mice after long term infection with MAP. Our results demonstrate for the first time, that mycobacterial FurA is not involved in the regulation of iron homeostasis. However, they provide strong evidence that FurA contributes to intracellular survival as an oxidative stress sensing regulator.
CitationFurA contributes to the oxidative stress response regulation of Mycobacterium avium ssp. paratuberculosis. 2015, 6:16 Front Microbiol
AffiliationHZI-Helmholzzentrum für Infektionsforschung
JournalFrontiers in microbiology
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Identification of a lineage specific zinc responsive genomic island in Mycobacterium avium ssp. paratuberculosis.
- Authors: Eckelt E, Jarek M, Frömke C, Meens J, Goethe R
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 6
- Key role for the alternative sigma factor, SigH, in the intracellular life of Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis during macrophage stress.
- Authors: Ghosh P, Wu CW, Talaat AM
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Mycobacterial FurA is a negative regulator of catalase-peroxidase gene katG.
- Authors: Zahrt TC, Song J, Siple J, Deretic V
- Issue date: 2001 Mar
- Elucidating the Regulon of a Fur<i>-</i>like Protein in <i>Mycobacterium avium</i> subsp. <i>paratuberculosis</i> (<i>MAP</i>).
- Authors: Shoyama FM, Janetanakit T, Bannantine JP, Barletta RG, Sreevatsan S
- Issue date: 2020
- Oxidative stress response and characterization of the oxyR-ahpC and furA-katG loci in Mycobacterium marinum.
- Authors: Pagán-Ramos E, Song J, McFalone M, Mudd MH, Deretic V
- Issue date: 1998 Sep