Rübsamen et al_final.pdf
Open Access publication
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Ott, Jördis J
Mikolajczyk, Rafael T
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEbola virus disease (EVD) outbreaks have occurred during the past 5 decades, but none has affected European countries like the 2014 epidemic in West Africa. We used an online questionnaire to investigate risk perceptions in Germany during this epidemic peak. Our questionnaire covered risk perceptions, knowledge about transmission routes, media use, reactions to the outbreak, attitudes toward measures to prevent the spread of EVD and vaccination against EVD, and willingness to volunteer for aid missions. Of 974 participants, 29% indicated that they worried about EVD, 4% correctly stated virus transmission routes, and 75% incorrectly rated airborne transmission and transmission by asymptomatic patients as possible. Many indicated that if a patient were flown to Germany for treatment in a nearby hospital, they would adapt preventive behavior. Although most participants were not worried about EVD at the current stage of the epidemic, misperceptions regarding transmission were common and could trigger inappropriate behavior changes.
CitationEbola risk perception in Germany, 2014. 2015, 21 (6):1012-8 Emerging Infect. Dis.
AffiliationHelmholtz Centre for infection research, Inhoffenstr. 7, D-38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
JournalEmerging infectious diseases
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices among Members of Households Actively Monitored or Quarantined to Prevent Transmission of Ebola Virus Disease - Margibi County, Liberia: February-March 2015.
- Authors: Wilken JA, Pordell P, Goode B, Jarteh R, Miller Z, Saygar BG, Maximore L, Borbor WM, Carmue M, Walker GW, Yeiah A
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Changes in risk perceptions during the 2014 Ebola virus disease epidemic: results of two consecutive surveys among the general population in Lower Saxony, Germany.
- Authors: Obenauer J, Rübsamen N, Garsevanidze E, Karch A, Mikolajczyk RT
- Issue date: 2018 May 15
- The evolution of Ebola virus disease outbreaks.
- Authors: Gałas A
- Issue date: 2014
- Ebola virus disease in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Authors: Maganga GD, Kapetshi J, Berthet N, Kebela Ilunga B, Kabange F, Mbala Kingebeni P, Mondonge V, Muyembe JJ, Bertherat E, Briand S, Cabore J, Epelboin A, Formenty P, Kobinger G, González-Angulo L, Labouba I, Manuguerra JC, Okwo-Bele JM, Dye C, Leroy EM
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 27
- Effectiveness of Ring Vaccination as Control Strategy for Ebola Virus Disease.
- Authors: Kucharski AJ, Eggo RM, Watson CH, Camacho A, Funk S, Edmunds WJ
- Issue date: 2016 Jan