The Pseudomonas aeruginosa Transcriptional Landscape Is Shaped by Environmental Heterogeneity and Genetic Variation.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPhenotypic variability among bacteria depends on gene expression in response to different environments, and it also reflects differences in genomic structure. In this study, we analyzed transcriptome sequencing (RNA-seq) profiles of 151 Pseudomonas aeruginosa clinical isolates under standard laboratory conditions and of one P. aeruginosa type strain under 14 different environmental conditions. Our approach allowed dissection of the impact of the genetic background versus environmental cues on P. aeruginosa gene expression profiles and revealed that phenotypic variation was larger in response to changing environments than between genomically different isolates. We demonstrate that mutations within the global regulator LasR affect more than one trait (pleiotropy) and that the interaction between mutations (epistasis) shapes the P. aeruginosa phenotypic plasticity landscape. Because of pleiotropic and epistatic effects, average genotype and phenotype measures appeared to be uncorrelated in P. aeruginosa.
CitationThe Pseudomonas aeruginosa Transcriptional Landscape Is Shaped by Environmental Heterogeneity and Genetic Variation. 2015, 6 (4):e00749 MBio
AffiliationHelmholtz Centre for infection research, Inhoffenstr. 7, D-38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Genomic and Phenotypic Diversity among Ten Laboratory Isolates of <i>Pseudomonas aeruginosa</i> PAO1.
- Authors: Chandler CE, Horspool AM, Hill PJ, Wozniak DJ, Schertzer JW, Rasko DA, Ernst RK
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 1
- Selective Sweeps and Parallel Pathoadaptation Drive Pseudomonas aeruginosa Evolution in the Cystic Fibrosis Lung.
- Authors: Diaz Caballero J, Clark ST, Coburn B, Zhang Y, Wang PW, Donaldson SL, Tullis DE, Yau YC, Waters VJ, Hwang DM, Guttman DS
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 1
- Genome diversity of Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolates from cystic fibrosis patients and the hospital environment.
- Authors: Finnan S, Morrissey JP, O'Gara F, Boyd EF
- Issue date: 2004 Dec
- Strain-dependent diversity in the Pseudomonas aeruginosa quorum-sensing regulon.
- Authors: Chugani S, Kim BS, Phattarasukol S, Brittnacher MJ, Choi SH, Harwood CS, Greenberg EP
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 9
- Genotypic and phenotypic analyses of a Pseudomonas aeruginosa chronic bronchiectasis isolate reveal differences from cystic fibrosis and laboratory strains.
- Authors: Varga JJ, Barbier M, Mulet X, Bielecki P, Bartell JA, Owings JP, Martinez-Ramos I, Hittle LE, Davis MR Jr, Damron FH, Liechti GW, Puchałka J, dos Santos VA, Ernst RK, Papin JA, Albertí S, Oliver A, Goldberg JB
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 30