Complete genome sequence of Planctomyces brasiliensis type strain (DSM 5305(T)), phylogenomic analysis and reclassification of Planctomycetes including the descriptions of Gimesia gen. nov., Planctopirus gen. nov. and Rubinisphaera gen. nov. and emended descriptions of the order Planctomycetales and the family Planctomycetaceae.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Tindall, Brian J
Jeffries, Cynthia D
Detter, John C
Eisen, Jonathan A
Kyrpides, Nikos C
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPlanctomyces brasiliensis Schlesner 1990 belongs to the order Planctomycetales, which differs from other bacterial taxa by several distinctive features such as internal cell compartmentalization, multiplication by forming buds directly from the spherical, ovoid or pear-shaped mother cell and a cell wall consisting of a proteinaceous layer rather than a peptidoglycan layer. The first strains of P. brasiliensis, including the type strain IFAM 1448(T), were isolated from a water sample of Lagoa Vermelha, a salt pit near Rio de Janeiro, Brasil. This is the second completed genome sequence of a type strain of the genus Planctomyces to be published and the sixth type strain genome sequence from the family Planctomycetaceae. The 6,006,602 bp long genome with its 4,811 protein-coding and 54 RNA genes is a part of the G enomic E ncyclopedia of Bacteria and Archaea project. Phylogenomic analyses indicate that the classification within the Planctomycetaceae is partially in conflict with its evolutionary history, as the positioning of Schlesneria renders the genus Planctomyces paraphyletic. A re-analysis of published fatty-acid measurements also does not support the current arrangement of the two genera. A quantitative comparison of phylogenetic and phenotypic aspects indicates that the three Planctomyces species with type strains available in public culture collections should be placed in separate genera. Thus the genera Gimesia, Planctopirus and Rubinisphaera are proposed to accommodate P. maris, P. limnophilus and P. brasiliensis, respectively. Pronounced differences between the reported G + C content of Gemmata obscuriglobus, Singulisphaera acidiphila and Zavarzinella formosa and G + C content calculated from their genome sequences call for emendation of their species descriptions. In addition to other features, the range of G + C values reported for the genera within the Planctomycetaceae indicates that the descriptions of the family and the order should be emended.
CitationComplete genome sequence of Planctomyces brasiliensis type strain (DSM 5305(T)), phylogenomic analysis and reclassification of Planctomycetes including the descriptions of Gimesia gen. nov., Planctopirus gen. nov. and Rubinisphaera gen. nov. and emended descriptions of the order Planctomycetales and the family Planctomycetaceae. 2014, 9:10 Stand Genomic Sci
AffiliationHelmholtz Centre for infection research, Inhoffenstr. 7, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
JournalStandards in genomic sciences
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Complete genome sequence of Planctomyces limnophilus type strain (Mü 290).
- Authors: Labutti K, Sikorski J, Schneider S, Nolan M, Lucas S, Glavina Del Rio T, Tice H, Cheng JF, Goodwin L, Pitluck S, Liolios K, Ivanova N, Mavromatis K, Mikhailova N, Pati A, Chen A, Palaniappan K, Land M, Hauser L, Chang YJ, Jeffries CD, Tindall BJ, Rohde M, Göker M, Woyke T, Bristow J, Eisen JA, Markowitz V, Hugenholtz P, Kyrpides NC, Klenk HP, Lapidus A
- Issue date: 2010 Jul 29
- Planctomicrobium piriforme gen. nov., sp. nov., a stalked planctomycete from a littoral wetland of a boreal lake.
- Authors: Kulichevskaya IS, Ivanova AA, Detkova EN, Rijpstra WIC, Sinninghe Damsté JS, Dedysh SN
- Issue date: 2015 May
- Tuwongella immobilis gen. nov., sp. nov., a novel non-motile bacterium within the phylum Planctomycetes.
- Authors: Seeger C, Butler MK, Yee B, Mahajan M, Fuerst JA, Andersson SGE
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- <i>Gimesia chilikensis</i> sp. nov., a haloalkali-tolerant planctomycete isolated from Chilika lagoon and emended description of the genus <i>Gimesia</i>.
- Authors: Kumar D, Gaurav K, Pk S, A S, Uppada J, Ch S, Ch V R
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Complete genome sequence of Pirellula staleyi type strain (ATCC 27377).
- Authors: Clum A, Tindall BJ, Sikorski J, Ivanova N, Mavrommatis K, Lucas S, Glavina T, Del Rio, Nolan M, Chen F, Tice H, Pitluck S, Cheng JF, Chertkov O, Brettin T, Han C, Detter JC, Kuske C, Bruce D, Goodwin L, Ovchinikova G, Pati A, Mikhailova N, Chen A, Palaniappan K, Land M, Hauser L, Chang YJ, Jeffries CD, Chain P, Rohde M, Göker M, Bristow J, Eisen JA, Markowitz V, Hugenholtz P, Kyrpides NC, Klenk HP, Lapidus A
- Issue date: 2009 Dec 30