Surveillance and Outbreak Response Management System (SORMAS) to support the control of the Ebola virus disease outbreak in West Africa.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Adeoye, O O
Schapranow, M P
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn the context of controlling the current outbreak of Ebola virus disease (EVD), the World Health Organization claimed that 'critical determinant of epidemic size appears to be the speed of implementation of rigorous control measures', i.e. immediate follow-up of contact persons during 21 days after exposure, isolation and treatment of cases, decontamination, and safe burials. We developed the Surveillance and Outbreak Response Management System (SORMAS) to improve efficiency and timeliness of these measures. We used the Design Thinking methodology to systematically analyse experiences from field workers and the Ebola Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) after successful control of the EVD outbreak in Nigeria. We developed a process model with seven personas representing the procedures of EVD outbreak control. The SORMAS system architecture combines latest In-Memory Database (IMDB) technology via SAP HANA (in-memory, relational database management system), enabling interactive data analyses, and established SAP cloud tools, such as SAP Afaria (a mobile device management software). The user interface consists of specific front-ends for smartphones and tablet devices, which are independent from physical configurations. SORMAS allows real-time, bidirectional information exchange between field workers and the EOC, ensures supervision of contact follow-up, automated status reports, and GPS tracking. SORMAS may become a platform for outbreak management and improved routine surveillance of any infectious disease. Furthermore, the SORMAS process model may serve as framework for EVD outbreak modeling.
CitationSurveillance and Outbreak Response Management System (SORMAS) to support the control of the Ebola virus disease outbreak in West Africa. 2015, 20 (12): Euro Surveill.
AffiliationHelmholtz Centre for infection research, Inhoffenstr. 7, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
JournalEuro surveillance : bulletin Européen sur les maladies transmissibles = European communicable disease bulletin
The following license files are associated with this item:
- User Evaluation Indicates High Quality of the Surveillance Outbreak Response Management and Analysis System (SORMAS) After Field Deployment in Nigeria in 2015 and 2018.
- Authors: Tom-Aba D, Toikkanen SE, Glöckner S, Adeoye O, Mall S, Fähnrich C, Denecke K, Benzler J, Kirchner G, Schwarz N, Poggensee G, Silenou BC, Ameh CA, Nguku P, Olubunmi O, Ihekweazu C, Krause G
- Issue date: 2018
- The Epi Info Viral Hemorrhagic Fever (VHF) Application: A Resource for Outbreak Data Management and Contact Tracing in the 2014-2016 West Africa Ebola Epidemic.
- Authors: Schafer IJ, Knudsen E, McNamara LA, Agnihotri S, Rollin PE, Islam A
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 15
- Ebola virus disease outbreak; the role of field epidemiology training programme in the fight against the epidemic, Liberia, 2014.
- Authors: Lubogo M, Donewell B, Godbless L, Shabani S, Maeda J, Temba H, Malibiche TC, Berhanu N
- Issue date: 2015
- The Role of the Polio Program Infrastructure in Response to Ebola Virus Disease Outbreak in Nigeria 2014.
- Authors: Vaz RG, Mkanda P, Banda R, Komkech W, Ekundare-Famiyesin OO, Onyibe R, Abidoye S, Nsubuga P, Maleghemi S, Hannah-Murele B, Tegegne SG
- Issue date: 2016 May 1
- The Surveillance Outbreak Response Management and Analysis System (SORMAS): Digital Health Global Goods Maturity Assessment.
- Authors: Tom-Aba D, Silenou BC, Doerrbecker J, Fourie C, Leitner C, Wahnschaffe M, Strysewske M, Arinze CC, Krause G
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 29