BCL6--regulated by AhR/ARNT and wild-type MEF2B--drives expression of germinal center markers MYBL1 and LMO2.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Dirks, Wilhelm G
MacLeod, Roderick A F
Vaas, Lea A I
Drexler, Hans G
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGenetic heterogeneity is widespread in tumors, but poorly documented in cell lines. According to immunoglobulin hypermutation analysis, the diffuse large B-cell lymphoma cell line U-2932 comprises two subpopulations faithfully representing original tumor subclones. We set out to identify molecular causes underlying subclone-specific expression affecting 221 genes including surface markers and the germinal center oncogenes BCL6 and MYC. Genomic copy number variations explained 58/221 genes differentially expressed in the two U-2932 clones. Subclone-specific expression of the aryl-hydrocarbon receptor (AhR) and the resulting activity of the AhR/ARNT complex underlaid differential regulation of 11 genes including MEF2B. Knock-down and inhibitor experiments confirmed that AhR/ARNT regulates MEF2B, a key transcription factor for BCL6. AhR, MEF2B and BCL6 levels correlated not only in the U-2932 subclones but in the majority of 23 cell lines tested, indicting overexpression of AhR as a novel mechanism behind BCL6 diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Enforced modulation of BCL6 affected 48/221 signature genes. Although BCL6 is known as a transcriptional repressor, 28 genes were up-regulated, including LMO2 and MYBL1 which, like BCL6, signify germinal center diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Supporting the notion that BCL6 can induce gene expression, BCL6 and the majority of potential targets were co-regulated in a series of B-cell lines. In conclusion, genomic copy number aberrations, activation of AhR/ARNT, and overexpression of BCL6 are collectively responsible for differential expression of more than 100 genes in subclones of the U-2932 cell line. It is particularly interesting that BCL6 - regulated by AhR/ARNT and wild-type MEF2B - may drive expression of germinal center markers in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma.
CitationBCL6--regulated by AhR/ARNT and wild-type MEF2B--drives expression of germinal center markers MYBL1 and LMO2. 2015, 100 (6):801-9 Haematologica
AffiliationHelmholtz Centre for infection research, Inhoffenstr. 7, D-38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- MEF2B is a member of the BCL6 gene transcriptional complex and induces its expression in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma of the germinal center B-cell-like type.
- Authors: El Jamal SM, Grada Z, El Dinali MH, Zhou H, Hassan SY, Saad AG, Gibson B, Zhou X, Abulsayen HA, Khadra HS, Friedman J, Shalaby H, Kadi A, Megahed M, Emberesh M, Teruya-Feldstein J, Firpo-Betancourt A, Haikel Y, Fraig M, Hassan M
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- MEF2B mutations lead to deregulated expression of the oncogene BCL6 in diffuse large B cell lymphoma.
- Authors: Ying CY, Dominguez-Sola D, Fabi M, Lorenz IC, Hussein S, Bansal M, Califano A, Pasqualucci L, Basso K, Dalla-Favera R
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Comparison of Myocyte Enhancer Factor 2B Versus Other Germinal Center-associated Antigens in the Differential Diagnosis of B-Cell Non-Hodgkin Lymphomas.
- Authors: Moore EM, Swerdlow SH, Gibson SE
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- High expression of LMO2 in Hodgkin, Burkitt and germinal center diffuse large B cell lymphomas.
- Authors: Shams TM
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- BCL2, BCL6, MYC, MALT 1, and BCL10 rearrangements in nodal diffuse large B-cell lymphomas: a multicenter evaluation of a new set of fluorescent in situ hybridization probes and correlation with clinical outcome.
- Authors: Tibiletti MG, Martin V, Bernasconi B, Del Curto B, Pecciarini L, Uccella S, Pruneri G, Ponzoni M, Mazzucchelli L, Martinelli G, Ferreri AJ, Pinotti G, Assanelli A, Scandurra M, Doglioni C, Zucca E, Capella C, Bertoni F
- Issue date: 2009 May