Infection-induced type I interferons activate CD11b on B-1 cells for subsequent lymph node accumulation.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsWaffarn, Elizabeth E
Hastey, Christine J
Soo Choi, Youn
Simon, Scott I
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInnate-like B-1a lymphocytes rapidly redistribute to regional mediastinal lymph nodes (MedLNs) during influenza infection to generate protective IgM. Here we demonstrate that influenza infection-induced type I interferons directly stimulate body cavity B-1 cells and are a necessary signal required for B-1 cell accumulation in MedLNs. Vascular mimetic flow chamber studies show that type I interferons increase ligand-mediated B-1 cell adhesion under shear stress by inducing high-affinity conformation shifts of surface-expressed integrins. In vivo trafficking experiments identify CD11b as the non-redundant, interferon-activated integrin required for B-1 cell accumulation in MedLNs. Thus, CD11b on B-1 cells senses infection-induced innate signals and facilitates their rapid sequester into secondary lymphoid tissues, thereby regulating the accumulation of polyreactive IgM producers at sites of infection.
CitationInfection-induced type I interferons activate CD11b on B-1 cells for subsequent lymph node accumulation. 2015, 6:8991 Nat Commun
AffiliationTwincore Centre of Experimental and Clinical Infection Research; a joint venture between the Hannover Medical School and the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research, Hannover 30625, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/
- Lung CD103+ dendritic cells efficiently transport influenza virus to the lymph node and load viral antigen onto MHC class I for presentation to CD8 T cells.
- Authors: Ho AW, Prabhu N, Betts RJ, Ge MQ, Dai X, Hutchinson PE, Lew FC, Wong KL, Hanson BJ, Macary PA, Kemeny DM
- Issue date: 2011 Dec 1
- Innate-like B cells and their rules of engagement.
- Authors: Baumgarth N
- Issue date: 2013
- Quantitative analysis of the influenza virus-specific CD4+ T cell memory in the absence of B cells and Ig.
- Authors: Topham DJ, Tripp RA, Hamilton-Easton AM, Sarawar SR, Doherty PC
- Issue date: 1996 Oct 1
- Type I IFN receptor signals directly stimulate local B cells early following influenza virus infection.
- Authors: Coro ES, Chang WL, Baumgarth N
- Issue date: 2006 Apr 1
- Lethal coinfection of influenza virus and Streptococcus pneumoniae lowers antibody response to influenza virus in lung and reduces numbers of germinal center B cells, T follicular helper cells, and plasma cells in mediastinal lymph Node.
- Authors: Wu Y, Tu W, Lam KT, Chow KH, Ho PL, Guan Y, Peiris JS, Lau YL
- Issue date: 2015 Feb