Dual control system - A novel scaffolding architecture of an inducible regulatory device for the precise regulation of gene expression.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHere, we present a novel scaffolding architecture of an inducible regulatory device. This dual control system is completely silent in the off stage and is coupled to the regulation of gene expression at both the transcriptional and translational levels. This system also functions as an AND gate. We demonstrated the effectiveness of the cumate-riboswitch dual control system for the control of pamamycin production in Streptomyces albus. Placing the cre recombinase gene under the control of this system permitted the construction of synthetic devices with non-volatile memory that sense the signal and respond by altering DNA at the chromosomal level, thereby producing changes that are heritable. In addition, we present a library of synthetic inducible promoters based on the previously described cumate switch. With only one inducer and different promoters, we demonstrate that simultaneous modulation of the expression of several genes to different levels in various operons is possible. Because all modules of the AND gates are functional in bacteria other than Streptomyces, we anticipate that these regulatory devices can be used to control gene expression in other Actinobacteria. The features described in this study make these systems promising tools for metabolic engineering and biotechnology in Actinobacteria.
CitationDual control system - A novel scaffolding architecture of an inducible regulatory device for the precise regulation of gene expression. 2016, 37:11-23 Metab. Eng.
AffiliationHelmholtz Institut für Pharmazeutische Forschung Saarland, Universitätscampus E8.1, 66123 Saarbrücken, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
- Synthetic Inducible Regulatory Systems Optimized for the Modulation of Secondary Metabolite Production in Streptomyces.
- Authors: Ji CH, Kim H, Kang HS
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 15
- Library of Synthetic Streptomyces Regulatory Sequences for Use in Promoter Engineering of Natural Product Biosynthetic Gene Clusters.
- Authors: Ji CH, Kim JP, Kang HS
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 17
- Novel and tightly regulated resorcinol and cumate-inducible expression systems for Streptomyces and other actinobacteria.
- Authors: Horbal L, Fedorenko V, Luzhetskyy A
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Genome-wide identification and evaluation of constitutive promoters in streptomycetes.
- Authors: Li S, Wang J, Li X, Yin S, Wang W, Yang K
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 29
- Characterization of three positive regulators for tetramycin biosynthesis in Streptomyces ahygroscopicus.
- Authors: Cui H, Ni X, Liu S, Wang J, Sun Z, Ren J, Su J, Chen G, Xia H
- Issue date: 2016 Jun