Ebola Virus Disease Is Characterized by Poor Activation and Reduced Levels of Circulating CD16+ Monocytes.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Wozniak, David M
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA number of previous studies have identified antigen-presenting cells (APCs) as key targets of Ebola virus (EBOV), but the role of APCs in human Ebola virus disease (EVD) is not known. We have evaluated the phenotype and kinetics of monocytes, neutrophils, and dendritic cells (DCs) in peripheral blood of patients for whom EVD was diagnosed by the European Mobile Laboratory in Guinea. Acute EVD was characterized by reduced levels of circulating nonclassical CD16(+) monocytes with a poor activation profile. In survivors, CD16(+) monocytes were activated during recovery, coincident with viral clearance, suggesting an important role of this cell subset in EVD pathophysiology.
CitationEbola Virus Disease Is Characterized by Poor Activation and Reduced Levels of Circulating CD16+ Monocytes. 2016, 214 (suppl 3):S275-S280 J. Infect. Dis.
AffiliationTwinCore, Centre for experimental and clinical infection research GmbH, Feodor-Lynen-Str. 7, 30625 Hannover, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Immunopathogenesis of severe acute respiratory disease in Zaire ebolavirus-infected pigs.
- Authors: Nfon CK, Leung A, Smith G, Embury-Hyatt C, Kobinger G, Weingartl HM
- Issue date: 2013
- Ebola virus infection kinetics in chimeric mice reveal a key role of T cells as barriers for virus dissemination.
- Authors: Lüdtke A, Ruibal P, Wozniak DM, Pallasch E, Wurr S, Bockholt S, Gómez-Medina S, Qiu X, Kobinger GP, Rodríguez E, Günther S, Krasemann S, Idoyaga J, Oestereich L, Muñoz-Fontela C
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 3
- Unique human immune signature of Ebola virus disease in Guinea.
- Authors: Ruibal P, Oestereich L, Lüdtke A, Becker-Ziaja B, Wozniak DM, Kerber R, Korva M, Cabeza-Cabrerizo M, Bore JA, Koundouno FR, Duraffour S, Weller R, Thorenz A, Cimini E, Viola D, Agrati C, Repits J, Afrough B, Cowley LA, Ngabo D, Hinzmann J, Mertens M, Vitoriano I, Logue CH, Boettcher JP, Pallasch E, Sachse A, Bah A, Nitzsche K, Kuisma E, Michel J, Holm T, Zekeng EG, García-Dorival I, Wölfel R, Stoecker K, Fleischmann E, Strecker T, Di Caro A, Avšič-Županc T, Kurth A, Meschi S, Mély S, Newman E, Bocquin A, Kis Z, Kelterbaum A, Molkenthin P, Carletti F, Portmann J, Wolff S, Castilletti C, Schudt G, Fizet A, Ottowell LJ, Herker E, Jacobs T, Kretschmer B, Severi E, Ouedraogo N, Lago M, Negredo A, Franco L, Anda P, Schmiedel S, Kreuels B, Wichmann D, Addo MM, Lohse AW, De Clerck H, Nanclares C, Jonckheere S, Van Herp M, Sprecher A, Xiaojiang G, Carrington M, Miranda O, Castro CM, Gabriel M, Drury P, Formenty P, Diallo B, Koivogui L, Magassouba N, Carroll MW, Günther S, Muñoz-Fontela C
- Issue date: 2016 May 5
- Ebola Virus Disease in Humans: Pathophysiology and Immunity.
- Authors: Muñoz-Fontela C, McElroy AK
- Issue date: 2017
- Comprehensive Characterization of Cellular Immune Responses Following Ebola Virus Infection.
- Authors: Dahlke C, Lunemann S, Kasonta R, Kreuels B, Schmiedel S, Ly ML, Fehling SK, Strecker T, Becker S, Altfeld M, Sow A, Lohse AW, Muñoz-Fontela C, Addo MM
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 15