Top 25 Global Causes of Disability-Adjusted Life-Years (DALYs) in Children Younger Than 5 Years, Both Sexes, 1990 and 2013
Affiliations of The Global Burden ...
allowed publisher's PDF
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
Abstractmportance The literature focuses on mortality among children younger than 5 years. Comparable information on nonfatal health outcomes among these children and the fatal and nonfatal burden of diseases and injuries among older children and adolescents is scarce. Objective To determine levels and trends in the fatal and nonfatal burden of diseases and injuries among younger children (aged <5 years), older children (aged 5-9 years), and adolescents (aged 10-19 years) between 1990 and 2013 in 188 countries from the Global Burden of Disease (GBD) 2013 study. Evidence Review Data from vital registration, verbal autopsy studies, maternal and child death surveillance, and other sources covering 14 244 site-years (ie, years of cause of death data by geography) from 1980 through 2013 were used to estimate cause-specific mortality. Data from 35 620 epidemiological sources were used to estimate the prevalence of the diseases and sequelae in the GBD 2013 study. Cause-specific mortality for most causes was estimated using the Cause of Death Ensemble Model strategy. For some infectious diseases (eg, HIV infection/AIDS, measles, hepatitis B) where the disease process is complex or the cause of death data were insufficient or unavailable, we used natural history models. For most nonfatal health outcomes, DisMod-MR 2.0, a Bayesian metaregression tool, was used to meta-analyze the epidemiological data to generate prevalence estimates. Findings Of the 7.7 (95% uncertainty interval [UI], 7.4-8.1) million deaths among children and adolescents globally in 2013, 6.28 million occurred among younger children, 0.48 million among older children, and 0.97 million among adolescents. In 2013, the leading causes of death were lower respiratory tract infections among younger children (905 059 deaths; 95% UI, 810 304-998 125), diarrheal diseases among older children (38 325 deaths; 95% UI, 30 365-47 678), and road injuries among adolescents (115 186 deaths; 95% UI, 105 185-124 870). Iron deficiency anemia was the leading cause of years lived with disability among children and adolescents, affecting 619 (95% UI, 618-621) million in 2013. Large between-country variations exist in mortality from leading causes among children and adolescents. Countries with rapid declines in all-cause mortality between 1990 and 2013 also experienced large declines in most leading causes of death, whereas countries with the slowest declines had stagnant or increasing trends in the leading causes of death. In 2013, Nigeria had a 12% global share of deaths from lower respiratory tract infections and a 38% global share of deaths from malaria. India had 33% of the world’s deaths from neonatal encephalopathy. Half of the world’s diarrheal deaths among children and adolescents occurred in just 5 countries: India, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Pakistan, Nigeria, and Ethiopia. Conclusions and Relevance Understanding the levels and trends of the leading causes of death and disability among children and adolescents is critical to guide investment and inform policies. Monitoring these trends over time is also key to understanding where interventions are having an impact. Proven interventions exist to prevent or treat the leading causes of unnecessary death and disability among children and adolescents. The findings presented here show that these are underused and give guidance to policy makers in countries where more attention is needed.
CitationGlobal Burden of Disease Pediatrics Collaboration. Global and National Burden of Diseases and Injuries Among Children and Adolescents Between 1990 and 2013: Findings From the Global Burden of Disease 2013 Study. JAMA Pediatr. 2016;170(3):267-287. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2015.4276
AffiliationInstitute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, University of Washington, 2301 Fifth Ave, Ste 600, Seattle, WA 98121
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/
- Child and Adolescent Health From 1990 to 2015: Findings From the Global Burden of Diseases, Injuries, and Risk Factors 2015 Study.
- Authors: Global Burden of Disease Child and Adolescent Health Collaboration, Kassebaum N, Kyu HH, Zoeckler L, Olsen HE, Thomas K, Pinho C, Bhutta ZA, Dandona L, Ferrari A, Ghiwot TT, Hay SI, Kinfu Y, Liang X, Lopez A, Malta DC, Mokdad AH, Naghavi M, Patton GC, Salomon J, Sartorius B, Topor-Madry R, Vollset SE, Werdecker A, Whiteford HA, Abate KH, Abbas K, Damtew SA, Ahmed MB, Akseer N, Al-Raddadi R, Alemayohu MA, Altirkawi K, Abajobir AA, Amare AT, Antonio CAT, Arnlov J, Artaman A, Asayesh H, Avokpaho EFGA, Awasthi A, Ayala Quintanilla BP, Bacha U, Betsu BD, Barac A, Bärnighausen TW, Baye E, Bedi N, Bensenor IM, Berhane A, Bernabe E, Bernal OA, Beyene AS, Biadgilign S, Bikbov B, Boyce CA, Brazinova A, Hailu GB, Carter A, Castañeda-Orjuela CA, Catalá-López F, Charlson FJ, Chitheer AA, Choi JJ, Ciobanu LG, Crump J, Dandona R, Dellavalle RP, Deribew A, deVeber G, Dicker D, Ding EL, Dubey M, Endries AY, Erskine HE, Faraon EJA, Faro A, Farzadfar F, Fernandes JC, Fijabi DO, Fitzmaurice C, Fleming TD, Flor LS, Foreman KJ, Franklin RC, Fraser MS, Frostad JJ, Fullman N, Gebregergs GB, Gebru AA, Geleijnse JM, Gibney KB, Gidey Yihdego M, Ginawi IAM, Gishu MD, Gizachew TA, Glaser E, Gold AL, Goldberg E, Gona P, Goto A, Gugnani HC, Jiang G, Gupta R, Tesfay FH, Hankey GJ, Havmoeller R, Hijar M, Horino M, Hosgood HD, Hu G, Jacobsen KH, Jakovljevic MB, Jayaraman SP, Jha V, Jibat T, Johnson CO, Jonas J, Kasaeian A, Kawakami N, Keiyoro PN, Khalil I, Khang YH, Khubchandani J, Ahmad Kiadaliri AA, Kieling C, Kim D, Kissoon N, Knibbs LD, Koyanagi A, Krohn KJ, Kuate Defo B, Kucuk Bicer B, Kulikoff R, Kumar GA, Lal DK, Lam HY, Larson HJ, Larsson A, Laryea DO, Leung J, Lim SS, Lo LT, Lo WD, Looker KJ, Lotufo PA, Magdy Abd El Razek H, Malekzadeh R, Markos Shifti D, Mazidi M, Meaney PA, Meles KG, Memiah P, Mendoza W, Abera Mengistie M, Mengistu GW, Mensah GA, Miller TR, Mock C, Mohammadi A, Mohammed S, Monasta L, Mueller U, Nagata C, Naheed A, Nguyen G, Nguyen QL, Nsoesie E, Oh IH, Okoro A, Olusanya JO, Olusanya BO, Ortiz A, Paudel D, Pereira DM, Perico N, Petzold M, Phillips MR, Polanczyk GV, Pourmalek F, Qorbani M, Rafay A, Rahimi-Movaghar V, Rahman M, Rai RK, Ram U, Rankin Z, Remuzzi G, Renzaho AMN, Roba HS, Rojas-Rueda D, Ronfani L, Sagar R, Sanabria JR, Kedir Mohammed MS, Santos IS, Satpathy M, Sawhney M, Schöttker B, Schwebel DC, Scott JG, Sepanlou SG, Shaheen A, Shaikh MA, She J, Shiri R, Shiue I, Sigfusdottir ID, Singh J, Silpakit N, Smith A, Sreeramareddy C, Stanaway JD, Stein DJ, Steiner C, Sufiyan MB, Swaminathan S, Tabarés-Seisdedos R, Tabb KM, Tadese F, Tavakkoli M, Taye B, Teeple S, Tegegne TK, Temam Shifa G, Terkawi AS, Thomas B, Thomson AJ, Tobe-Gai R, Tonelli M, Tran BX, Troeger C, Ukwaja KN, Uthman O, Vasankari T, Venketasubramanian N, Vlassov VV, Weiderpass E, Weintraub R, Gebrehiwot SW, Westerman R, Williams HC, Wolfe CDA, Woodbrook R, Yano Y, Yonemoto N, Yoon SJ, Younis MZ, Yu C, Zaki MES, Zegeye EA, Zuhlke LJ, Murray CJL, Vos T
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 1
- Global, regional, and national age-sex specific mortality for 264 causes of death, 1980-2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016.
- Authors: GBD 2016 Causes of Death Collaborators
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 16
- Diseases, Injuries, and Risk Factors in Child and Adolescent Health, 1990 to 2017: Findings From the Global Burden of Diseases, Injuries, and Risk Factors 2017 Study.
- Authors: GBD 2017 Child and Adolescent Health Collaborators, Reiner RC Jr, Olsen HE, Ikeda CT, Echko MM, Ballestreros KE, Manguerra H, Martopullo I, Millear A, Shields C, Smith A, Strub B, Abebe M, Abebe Z, Adhena BM, Adhikari TB, Akibu M, Al-Raddadi RM, Alvis-Guzman N, Antonio CAT, Aremu O, Asgedom SW, Asseffa NA, Avila-Burgos L, Barac A, Bärnighausen TW, Bassat Q, Bensenor IM, Bhutta ZA, Bijani A, Bililign N, Cahuana-Hurtado L, Malta DC, Chang JC, Charlson FJ, Dharmaratne SD, Doku DT, Edessa D, El-Khatib Z, Erskine HE, Ferrari AJ, Fullman N, Gupta R, Hassen HY, Hay SI, Ilesanmi OS, Jacobsen KH, Kahsay A, Kasaeian A, Kassa TD, Kebede S, Khader YS, Khan EA, Khan MN, Khang YH, Khubchandani J, Kinfu Y, Kochhar S, Kokubo Y, Koyanagi A, Defo BK, Lal DK, Kumsa FA, Larson HJ, Leung J, Mamun AA, Mehata S, Melku M, Mendoza W, Mezgebe HB, Miller TR, Moges NA, Mohammed S, Mokdad AH, Monasta L, Neupane S, Nguyen HLT, Ningrum DNA, Nirayo YL, Nong VM, Ogbo FA, Olagunju AT, Olusanya BO, Olusanya JO, Patton GC, Pereira DM, Pourmalek F, Qorbani M, Rafay A, Rai RK, Ram U, Ranabhat CL, Renzaho AMN, Rezai MS, Ronfani L, Roth GA, Safiri S, Sartorius B, Scott JG, Shackelford KA, Sliwa K, Sreeramareddy C, Sufiyan MB, Terkawi AS, Topor-Madry R, Tran BX, Ukwaja KN, Uthman OA, Vollset SE, Weldegwergs KG, Werdecker A, Whiteford HA, Wijeratne T, Yonemoto N, Yotebieng M, Zuhlke LJ, Kyu HH, Naghavi M, Vos T, Murray CJL, Kassebaum NJ
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 1
- Global, regional, and national age-sex specific all-cause and cause-specific mortality for 240 causes of death, 1990-2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013.
- Authors: GBD 2013 Mortality and Causes of Death Collaborators
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 10
- National disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) for 257 diseases and injuries in Ethiopia, 1990-2015: findings from the global burden of disease study 2015.
- Authors: Misganaw A, Melaku YA, Tessema GA, Deribew A, Deribe K, Abera SF, Dessalegn M, Lakew Y, Bekele T, Haregu TN, Amare AT, Gedefaw M, Mohammed M, Yirsaw BD, Damtew SA, Achoki T, Blore J, Krohn KJ, Assefa Y, Kifle M, Naghavi M
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 21