Novel peptidomimetic compounds containing redox active chalcogens and quinones as potential anticancer agents.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Verma, Rajeshwar P
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMany types of cancer cells are associated with a disturbed intracellular redox balance and oxidative stress (OS). Among the various agents employed to modulate the intracellular redox state of cells, certain redox catalysts containing quinone and chalcogen moieties have shown considerable promise. Passerini multicomponent reaction has been developed for the synthesis of agents combining two, three or even four redox centers in one molecule in a good yield. When incubated with cancer cells these agents inhibited cell proliferation and induced apoptotic cell death. Interestingly, some of these redox active compounds exhibited quite low toxicity with normal cells. The cause was obviously OS, which was reflected by significant decrease in reduced glutathione, subsequently cell cycle arrest and induction of apoptosis.
CitationNovel peptidomimetic compounds containing redox active chalcogens and quinones as potential anticancer agents. 2012, 58:192-205 Eur J Med Chem
AffiliationHelmholtz Centre for infection research, Inhoffenstr. 7, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/
- Multifunctional redox catalysts as selective enhancers of oxidative stress.
- Authors: Fry FH, Holme AL, Giles NM, Giles GI, Collins C, Holt K, Pariagh S, Gelbrich T, Hursthouse MB, Gutowski NJ, Jacob C
- Issue date: 2005 Jul 21
- Synthesis and selective anticancer activity of organochalcogen based redox catalysts.
- Authors: Doering M, Ba LA, Lilienthal N, Nicco C, Scherer C, Abbas M, Zada AA, Coriat R, Burkholz T, Wessjohann L, Diederich M, Batteux F, Herling M, Jacob C
- Issue date: 2010 Oct 14
- Hybrid compounds with two redox centres: modular synthesis of chalcogen-containing lapachones and studies on their antitumor activity.
- Authors: Vieira AA, Brandão IR, Valença WO, de Simone CA, Cavalcanti BC, Pessoa C, Carneiro TR, Braga AL, da Silva EN
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 28
- Sulfur, selenium and tellurium pseudopeptides: synthesis and biological evaluation.
- Authors: Shaaban S, Sasse F, Burkholz T, Jacob C
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 15
- Chalcogen containing heterocyclic scaffolds: New hybrids with antitumoral activity.
- Authors: Alcolea V, Plano D, Encío I, Palop JA, Sharma AK, Sanmartín C
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 10