Ciprofloxacin-loaded lipid-core nanocapsules as mucus penetrating drug delivery system intended for the treatment of bacterial infections in cystic fibrosis.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Chaves, Paula S
Oliveira, Edilene G
Guterres, Silvia S
Pohlmann, Adriana R
Beck, Ruy C R
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTreatment of bacterial airway infections is essential for cystic fibrosis therapy. However, effectiveness of antibacterial treatment is limited as bacteria inside the mucus are protected from antibiotics and immune response. To overcome this biological barrier, ciprofloxacin was loaded into lipid-core nanocapsules (LNC) for high mucus permeability, sustained release and antibacterial activity. Ciprofloxacin-loaded LNC with a mean size of 180nm showed a by 50% increased drug permeation through mucus. In bacterial growth assays, the drug in the LNC had similar minimum inhibitory concentrations as the free drug in P. aeruginosa and S. aureus. Interestingly, formation of biofilm-like aggregates, which were observed for S. aureus treated with free ciprofloxacin, was avoided by exposure to LNC. With the combined advantages over the non-encapsulated drug, ciprofloxacin-loaded LNC represent a promising drug delivery system with the prospect of an improved antibiotic therapy in cystic fibrosis.
CitationCiprofloxacin-loaded lipid-core nanocapsules as mucus penetrating drug delivery system intended for the treatment of bacterial infections in cystic fibrosis. 2017, 527 (1-2):92-102 Int J Pharm
AffiliationHelmholtz Institut für pharmazeutische Forschung Saarland, Universitätscampus E8.1, 66123 Saarbrücken, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/
- Ciprofloxacin-loaded PLGA nanoparticles against cystic fibrosis P. aeruginosa lung infections.
- Authors: Günday Türeli N, Torge A, Juntke J, Schwarz BC, Schneider-Daum N, Türeli AE, Lehr CM, Schneider M
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Disassembling bacterial extracellular matrix with DNase-coated nanoparticles to enhance antibiotic delivery in biofilm infections.
- Authors: Baelo A, Levato R, Julián E, Crespo A, Astola J, Gavaldà J, Engel E, Mateos-Timoneda MA, Torrents E
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 10
- Mucus penetrating properties of soft, distensible lipid nanocapsules.
- Authors: Chen H, Mansfield EDH, Woods A, Khutoryanskiy VV, Forbes B, Jones SA
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- Mannitol-guided delivery of Ciprofloxacin in artificial cystic fibrosis mucus model.
- Authors: Yang Y, Tsifansky MD, Shin S, Lin Q, Yeo Y
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Development of self-emulsifying drug delivery systems (SEDDS) for ciprofloxacin with improved mucus permeating properties.
- Authors: Zaichik S, Steinbring C, Menzel C, Knabl L, Orth-Höller D, Ellemunter H, Niedermayr K, Bernkop-Schnürch A
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 25