Virucidal Activity of World Health Organization-Recommended Formulations Against Enveloped Viruses, Including Zika, Ebola, and Emerging Coronaviruses.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Vielle, Nathalie Jane
Windisch, Marc P
Brill, Florian H
Alves, Marco P
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe World Health Organization (WHO) published 2 alcohol-based formulations to be used in healthcare settings and for outbreak-associated infections, but inactivation efficacies of these products have not been determined against (re-)emerging viruses. In this study, we evaluated the virucidal activity of these WHO products in a comparative analysis. Zika virus (ZIKV), Ebola virus (EBOV), severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV), and Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) as (re-)emerging viral pathogens and other enveloped viruses could be efficiently inactivated by both WHO formulations, implicating their use in healthcare systems and viral outbreak situations.
CitationVirucidal Activity of World Health Organization-Recommended Formulations Against Enveloped Viruses, Including Zika, Ebola, and Emerging Coronaviruses. 2017, 215 (6):902-906 J. Infect. Dis.
AffiliationTWINCORE, Zentrum für experimentelle und klinische Infektionsforschung gmbH, Feodor-Lynen Str. 7, 30625 Hannover, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/
- Working Hard or Hardly Working? Regulatory Bottlenecks in Developing a COVID-19 Vaccine.
- Authors: Pregelj L, Hine DC, Oyola-Lozada MG, Munro TP
- Issue date: 2020 Sep
- Vaccine development for emerging virulent infectious diseases.
- Authors: Maslow JN
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 4
- Coronaviruses: severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus and Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus in travelers.
- Authors: Al-Tawfiq JA, Zumla A, Memish ZA
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Inactivation of Ebola virus and Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus in platelet concentrates and plasma by ultraviolet C light and methylene blue plus visible light, respectively.
- Authors: Eickmann M, Gravemann U, Handke W, Tolksdorf F, Reichenberg S, Müller TH, Seltsam A
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Povidone-iodine hand wash and hand rub products demonstrated excellent in vitro virucidal efficacy against Ebola virus and modified vaccinia virus Ankara, the new European test virus for enveloped viruses.
- Authors: Eggers M, Eickmann M, Kowalski K, Zorn J, Reimer K
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 17