Three Novel Species with Peptidoglycan Cell Walls form the New Genus Lacunisphaera gen. nov. in the Family Opitutaceae of the Verrucomicrobial Subdivision 4.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Glöckner, Frank O
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe cell wall of free-living bacteria consists of peptidoglycan (PG) and is critical for maintenance of shape as dissolved solutes cause osmotic pressure and challenge cell integrity. Surprisingly, the subdivision 4 of the phylum Verrucomicrobia appears to be exceptional in this respect. Organisms of this subdivision are described to be devoid of muramic or diaminopimelic acid (DAP), usually found as components of PG in bacterial cell walls. Here we describe three novel bacterial strains from a freshwater lake, IG15(T), IG16b(T), and IG31(T), belonging to a new genus in the subdivision 4 of Verrucomicrobia which we found to possess PG as part of their cell walls. Biochemical analysis revealed the presence of DAP not only in these novel strains, but also in Opitutus terrae PB90-1(T), the closest described relative of strains IG15(T), IG16b(T), and IG31(T). Furthermore, we found that nearly all genes necessary for peptidoglycan synthesis are present in genomes of subdivision 4 members, as well as in the complete genome sequence of strain IG16b(T). In addition, we isolated and visualized PG-sacculi for strain IG16b(T). Thus, our results challenge the concept of peptidoglycan-less free-living bacteria. Our polyphasic taxonomy approach places the novel strains in a new genus within the family Opitutaceae, for which the name Lacunisphaera gen. nov. is proposed. Strain designations for IG15(T), IG16b(T) and IG31(T) are Lacunisphaera parvula sp. nov. (=DSM 26814 = LMG 29468), L. limnophila sp. nov. (=DSM 26815 = LMG 29469) and L. anatis sp. nov. (=DSM 103142 = LMG 29578) respectively, with L. limnophila IG16b(T) being the type species of the genus.
CitationThree Novel Species with Peptidoglycan Cell Walls form the New Genus Lacunisphaera gen. nov. in the Family Opitutaceae of the Verrucomicrobial Subdivision 4. 2017, 8:202 Front Microbiol
AffiliationHelmholtz Centre for infection research, Inhoffenstr. 7, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
JournalFrontiers in microbiology
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/
- Pelagicoccus mobilis gen. nov., sp. nov., Pelagicoccus albus sp. nov. and Pelagicoccus litoralis sp. nov., three novel members of subdivision 4 within the phylum 'Verrucomicrobia', isolated from seawater by in situ cultivation.
- Authors: Yoon J, Yasumoto-Hirose M, Matsuo Y, Nozawa M, Matsuda S, Kasai H, Yokota A
- Issue date: 2007 Jul
- Puniceicoccus vermicola gen. nov., sp. nov., a novel marine bacterium, and description of Puniceicoccaceae fam. nov., Puniceicoccales ord. nov., Opitutaceae fam. nov., Opitutales ord. nov. and Opitutae classis nov. in the phylum 'Verrucomicrobia'.
- Authors: Choo YJ, Lee K, Song J, Cho JC
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Cerasicoccus maritimus sp. nov. and Cerasicoccus frondis sp. nov., two peptidoglycan-less marine verrucomicrobial species, and description of Verrucomicrobia phyl. nov., nom. rev.
- Authors: Yoon J, Matsuo Y, Matsuda S, Kasai H, Yokota A
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Description of Persicirhabdus sediminis gen. nov., sp. nov., Roseibacillus ishigakijimensis gen. nov., sp. nov., Roseibacillus ponti sp. nov., Roseibacillus persicicus sp. nov., Luteolibacter pohnpeiensis gen. nov., sp. nov. and Luteolibacter algae sp. nov., six marine members of the phylum 'Verrucomicrobia', and emended descriptions of the class Verrucomicrobiae, the order Verrucomicrobiales and the family Verrucomicrobiaceae.
- Authors: Yoon J, Matsuo Y, Adachi K, Nozawa M, Matsuda S, Kasai H, Yokota A
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- Coraliomargarita akajimensis gen. nov., sp. nov., a novel member of the phylum 'Verrucomicrobia' isolated from seawater in Japan.
- Authors: Yoon J, Yasumoto-Hirose M, Katsuta A, Sekiguchi H, Matsuda S, Kasai H, Yokota A
- Issue date: 2007 May