Metabolic profiling of body fluids and multivariate data analysis.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMetabolome analyses of body fluids are challenging due pre-analytical variations, such as pre-processing delay and temperature, and constant dynamical changes of biochemical processes within the samples. Therefore, proper sample handling starting from the time of collection up to the analysis is crucial to obtain high quality samples and reproducible results. A metabolomics analysis is divided into 4 main steps: 1) Sample collection, 2) Metabolite extraction, 3) Data acquisition and 4) Data analysis. Here, we describe a protocol for gas chromatography coupled to mass spectrometry (GC-MS) based metabolic analysis for biological matrices, especially body fluids. This protocol can be applied on blood serum/plasma, saliva and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) samples of humans and other vertebrates. It covers sample collection, sample pre-processing, metabolite extraction, GC-MS measurement and guidelines for the subsequent data analysis. Advantages of this protocol include: •Robust and reproducible metabolomics results, taking into account pre-analytical variations that may occur during the sampling process•Small sample volume required•Rapid and cost-effective processing of biological samples•Logistic regression based determination of biomarker signatures for in-depth data analysis.
CitationMetabolic profiling of body fluids and multivariate data analysis. 2017, 4:95-103 MethodsX
AffiliationHelmholtz Centre for infection research, Inhoffenstr. 7, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/
- Translational Metabolomics of Head Injury: Exploring Dysfunctional Cerebral Metabolism with Ex Vivo NMR Spectroscopy-Based Metabolite Quantification
- Authors: Wolahan SM, Hirt D, Glenn TC, Kobeissy FH
- Issue date: 2015
- The combination of four analytical methods to explore skeletal muscle metabolomics: Better coverage of metabolic pathways or a marketing argument?
- Authors: Bruno C, Patin F, Bocca C, Nadal-Desbarats L, Bonnier F, Reynier P, Emond P, Vourc'h P, Joseph-Delafont K, Corcia P, Andres CR, Blasco H
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 30
- The Karlsruhe Metabolomics and Nutrition (KarMeN) Study: Protocol and Methods of a Cross-Sectional Study to Characterize the Metabolome of Healthy Men and Women.
- Authors: Bub A, Kriebel A, Dörr C, Bandt S, Rist M, Roth A, Hummel E, Kulling S, Hoffmann I, Watzl B
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 15
- Procedures for large-scale metabolic profiling of serum and plasma using gas chromatography and liquid chromatography coupled to mass spectrometry.
- Authors: Dunn WB, Broadhurst D, Begley P, Zelena E, Francis-McIntyre S, Anderson N, Brown M, Knowles JD, Halsall A, Haselden JN, Nicholls AW, Wilson ID, Kell DB, Goodacre R, Human Serum Metabolome (HUSERMET) Consortium.
- Issue date: 2011 Jun 30
- Metabolic profiling of mouse cerebrospinal fluid by sheathless CE-MS.
- Authors: Ramautar R, Shyti R, Schoenmaker B, de Groote L, Derks RJ, Ferrari MD, van den Maagdenberg AM, Deelder AM, Mayboroda OA
- Issue date: 2012 Dec