Analysis of mitochondrial metabolism in situ: Combining stable isotope labeling with selective permeabilization.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
d'Herouël, Aymeric Fouquier
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo date, it is well-established that mitochondrial dysfunction does not only play a vital role in cancer but also in other pathological conditions such as neurodegenerative diseases and inflammation. An important tool for the analysis of cellular metabolism is the application of stable isotope labeled substrates, which allow for the tracing of atoms throughout metabolic networks. While such analyses yield very detailed information about intracellular fluxes, the determination of compartment specific fluxes is far more challenging. Most approaches for the deconvolution of compartmented metabolism use computational models whereas experimental methods are rare. Here, we developed an experimental setup based on selective permeabilization of the cytosolic membrane that allows for the administration of stable isotope labeled substrates directly to mitochondria. We demonstrate how this approach can be used to infer metabolic changes in mitochondria induced by either chemical or genetic perturbations and give an outlook on its potential applications.
CitationAnalysis of mitochondrial metabolism in situ: Combining stable isotope labeling with selective permeabilization. 2017, 43 (Pt B):147-155 Metab. Eng.
AffiliationHelmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH, Inhoffenstr. 7, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/
- Determining Compartment-Specific Metabolic Fluxes.
- Authors: Nonnenmacher Y, Palorini R, Hiller K
- Issue date: 2019
- [Induction of Unspecific Permeabilization of Mitochondrial Membrane and Its Role in Cell Death].
- Authors: Novoderezhkina EA, Zhivotovsky BD, Gogvadze VG
- Issue date: 2016 Jan-Feb
- Mitochondrial outer membrane permeabilization during apoptosis: the role of mitochondrial fission.
- Authors: Landes T, Martinou JC
- Issue date: 2011 Apr
- Methods for the assessment of mitochondrial membrane permeabilization in apoptosis.
- Authors: Galluzzi L, Zamzami N, de La Motte Rouge T, Lemaire C, Brenner C, Kroemer G
- Issue date: 2007 May
- Subcellular metabolic pathway kinetics are revealed by correcting for artifactual post harvest metabolism.
- Authors: Trefely S, Liu J, Huber K, Doan MT, Jiang H, Singh J, von Krusenstiern E, Bostwick A, Xu P, Bogner-Strauss JG, Wellen KE, Snyder NW
- Issue date: 2019 Dec