Kindlin-2 recruits paxillin and Arp2/3 to promote membrane protrusions during initial cell spreading.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsBöttcher, Ralph T
Stradal, Theresia E B
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCell spreading requires the coupling of actin-driven membrane protrusion and integrin-mediated adhesion to the extracellular matrix. The integrin-activating adaptor protein kindlin-2 plays a central role for cell adhesion and membrane protrusion by directly binding and recruiting paxillin to nascent adhesions. Here, we report that kindlin-2 has a dual role during initial cell spreading: it binds paxillin via the pleckstrin homology and F0 domains to activate Rac1, and it directly associates with the Arp2/3 complex to induce Rac1-mediated membrane protrusions. Consistently, abrogation of kindlin-2 binding to Arp2/3 impairs lamellipodia formation and cell spreading. Our findings identify kindlin-2 as a key protein that couples cell adhesion by activating integrins and the induction of membrane protrusions by activating Rac1 and supplying Rac1 with the Arp2/3 complex.
CitationKindlin-2 recruits paxillin and Arp2/3 to promote membrane protrusions during initial cell spreading. 2017 J. Cell Biol.
AffiliationHelmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH, Inhoffenstr.7, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
JournalThe Journal of cell biology
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/
- Kindlin-2 cooperates with talin to activate integrins and induces cell spreading by directly binding paxillin.
- Authors: Theodosiou M, Widmaier M, Böttcher RT, Rognoni E, Veelders M, Bharadwaj M, Lambacher A, Austen K, Müller DJ, Zent R, Fässler R
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 27
- Muscle costameric protein, Chisel/Smpx, associates with focal adhesion complexes and modulates cell spreading in vitro via a Rac1/p38 pathway.
- Authors: Schindeler A, Lavulo L, Harvey RP
- Issue date: 2005 Jul 15
- Kindlin-2 tyrosine phosphorylation and interaction with Src serve as a regulatable switch in the integrin outside-in signaling circuit.
- Authors: Qu H, Tu Y, Guan JL, Xiao G, Wu C
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 7
- A conserved lipid-binding loop in the kindlin FERM F1 domain is required for kindlin-mediated αIIbβ3 integrin coactivation.
- Authors: Bouaouina M, Goult BT, Huet-Calderwood C, Bate N, Brahme NN, Barsukov IL, Critchley DR, Calderwood DA
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 2
- Recruitment of the Arp2/3 complex to vinculin: coupling membrane protrusion to matrix adhesion.
- Authors: DeMali KA, Barlow CA, Burridge K
- Issue date: 2002 Dec 9