Self-resistance guided genome mining uncovers new topoisomerase inhibitors from myxobacteria.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThere is astounding discrepancy between the genome-inscribed production capacity and the set of known secondary metabolite classes from many microorganisms as detected under laboratory cultivation conditions. Genome-mining techniques are meant to fill this gap, but in order to favor discovery of structurally novel as well as bioactive compounds it is crucial to amend genomics-based strategies with selective filtering principles. In this study, we followed a self-resistance guided approach aiming at the discovery of inhibitors of topoisomerase, known as valid target in both cancer and antibiotic therapy. A common host self-defense mechanism against such inhibitors in bacteria is mediated by so-called pentapeptide repeat proteins (PRP). Genes encoding the biosynthetic machinery for production of an alleged topoisomerase inhibitor were found on the basis of their collocation adjacent to a predicted PRP in the genome of the myxobacterium
AffiliationHIPS, Helmholtz-Institute für pharmazeutische Forschung Saarland, Universitätscampus E8.1, 66123 Saarbrücken, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 United States
- Genome mining reveals uncommon alkylpyrones as type III PKS products from myxobacteria.
- Authors: Hug JJ, Panter F, Krug D, Müller R
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Novel Bacterial Topoisomerase Inhibitors with Potent Broad-Spectrum Activity against Drug-Resistant Bacteria.
- Authors: Charrier C, Salisbury AM, Savage VJ, Duffy T, Moyo E, Chaffer-Malam N, Ooi N, Newman R, Cheung J, Metzger R, McGarry D, Pichowicz M, Sigerson R, Cooper IR, Nelson G, Butler HS, Craighead M, Ratcliffe AJ, Best SA, Stokes NR
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Differential behaviors of Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli type II DNA topoisomerases.
- Authors: Blanche F, Cameron B, Bernard FX, Maton L, Manse B, Ferrero L, Ratet N, Lecoq C, Goniot A, Bisch D, Crouzet J
- Issue date: 1996 Dec
- 3,4-dimethoxyphenyl bis-benzimidazole, a novel DNA topoisomerase inhibitor that preferentially targets Escherichia coli topoisomerase I.
- Authors: Bansal S, Sinha D, Singh M, Cheng B, Tse-Dinh YC, Tandon V
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Targeted Genome Mining-From Compound Discovery to Biosynthetic Pathway Elucidation.
- Authors: Gummerlich N, Rebets Y, Paulus C, Zapp J, Luzhetskyy A
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 19