Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
de Vries, Jan Willem
Hartman, Alwin M
Wieland, Gerhard D
Börner, Hans G
Stuart, Marc C A
Browne, Wesley R
Hirsch, Anna K H
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHydrophobic drug candidates require innovative formulation agents. We designed and synthesized lipid-DNA polymers containing varying numbers of hydrophobic alkyl chains. The hydrophobicity of these amphiphiles is easily tunable by introducing a defined number of alkyl chain-modified nucleotides during standard solid-phase synthesis of DNA using an automated DNA synthesizer. We observed that the resulting self-assembled micelles solubilize the poorly water-soluble drug, meta-tetra-hydroxyphenyl-chlorin (mTHPC) used in photodynamic therapy (PDT) with high loading concentrations and loading capacities. A cell viability study showed that mTHPC-loaded micelles exhibit good biocompatibility without irradiation, and high PDT efficacy upon irradiation. Lipid-DNAs provide a novel class of drug-delivery vehicle, and hybridization of DNA offers a potentially facile route for further functionalization of the drug-delivery system with, for instance, targeting or imaging moieties.
AffiliationHIPS, Helmholtz-Institut für pharmazeutische Forschung Saarland, Universitätscampus 8.1, 66123 Saarbrücken, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 United States
- Macrophage selective photodynamic therapy by meta-tetra(hydroxyphenyl)chlorin loaded polymeric micelles: A possible treatment for cardiovascular diseases.
- Authors: Wennink JWH, Liu Y, Mäkinen PI, Setaro F, de la Escosura A, Bourajjaj M, Lappalainen JP, Holappa LP, van den Dikkenberg JB, Al Fartousi M, Trohopoulos PN, Ylä-Herttuala S, Torres T, Hennink WE, van Nostrum CF
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 30
- EGFR-Targeted Nanobody Functionalized Polymeric Micelles Loaded with mTHPC for Selective Photodynamic Therapy.
- Authors: Liu Y, Scrivano L, Peterson JD, Fens MHAM, Hernández IB, Mesquita B, Toraño JS, Hennink WE, van Nostrum CF, Oliveira S
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 6
- Biodistribution and bioactivity of tetra-pegylated meta-tetra(hydroxyphenyl)chlorin compared to native meta-tetra(hydroxyphenyl)chlorin in a rat liver tumor model.
- Authors: Rovers JP, Saarnak AE, de Jode M, Sterenborg HJ, Terpstra OT, Grahn MF
- Issue date: 2000 Feb
- Effective treatment of liver metastases with photodynamic therapy, using the second-generation photosensitizer meta-tetra(hydroxyphenyl)chlorin (mTHPC), in a rat model.
- Authors: Rovers JP, Saarnak AE, Molina A, Schuitmaker JJ, Sterenborg HJ, Terpstra OT
- Issue date: 1999 Oct
- Preparation and characterization of mTHPC-loaded solid lipid nanoparticles for photodynamic therapy.
- Authors: Navarro FP, Creusat G, Frochot C, Moussaron A, Verhille M, Vanderesse R, Thomann JS, Boisseau P, Texier I, Couffin AC, Barberi-Heyob M
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 5