Molecular mechanism of mRNA repression in by a ProQ-dependent small RNA.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractResearch into post-transcriptional control of mRNAs by small noncoding RNAs (sRNAs) in the model bacteria Escherichia coli and Salmonella enterica has mainly focused on sRNAs that associate with the RNA chaperone Hfq. However, the recent discovery of the protein ProQ as a common binding partner that stabilizes a distinct large class of structured sRNAs suggests that additional RNA regulons exist in these organisms. The cellular functions and molecular mechanisms of these new ProQ-dependent sRNAs are largely unknown. Here, we report in Salmonella Typhimurium the mode-of-action of RaiZ, a ProQ-dependent sRNA that is made from the 30 end of the mRNA encoding ribosome-inactivating protein RaiA. We show that RaiZ is a base-pairing sRNA that represses in trans the mRNA of histone-like protein HU-a. RaiZ forms an RNA duplex with the ribosome-binding site of hupA mRNA, facilitated by ProQ, to prevent 30S ribosome loading and protein synthesis of HU-a. Similarities and differences between ProQ- and Hfqmediated regulation will be discussed.
AffiliationHIRI, Helmoltz-Institut für RNA-basierteInfektionsforschung, Josef-Schneider-Strasse 2, 97080 Würzburg, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 United States
- The Major RNA-Binding Protein ProQ Impacts Virulence Gene Expression in Salmonella enterica Serovar Typhimurium.
- Authors: Westermann AJ, Venturini E, Sellin ME, Förstner KU, Hardt WD, Vogel J
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 2
- ProQ/FinO-domain proteins: another ubiquitous family of RNA matchmakers?
- Authors: Olejniczak M, Storz G
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Genome-wide profiling of Hfq-binding RNAs uncovers extensive post-transcriptional rewiring of major stress response and symbiotic regulons in Sinorhizobium meliloti.
- Authors: Torres-Quesada O, Reinkensmeier J, Schlüter JP, Robledo M, Peregrina A, Giegerich R, Toro N, Becker A, Jiménez-Zurdo JI
- Issue date: 2014
- Translational regulation by bacterial small RNAs via an unusual Hfq-dependent mechanism.
- Authors: Azam MS, Vanderpool CK
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 16
- RNA-binding activity and regulatory functions of the emerging sRNA-binding protein ProQ.
- Authors: Holmqvist E, Berggren S, Rizvanovic A
- Issue date: 2020 Sep